Removing fibreglass from a cedar stripper

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
canoedad

Removing fibreglass from a cedar stripper

Post by canoedad »

Hi

I have a cedar strip canoe my Dad and I made 30 -35 years ago. It has seen a lot of use and some less than great storage. The fiberglass has formed blisters in spots. I have peeled them and done quick stand by repairs the allow use each year. We now need to stop the bleeeding and do a big repair or I think this boot will be garbage. It has sentimental value and I would really like to strip off all of the glass and then relaminate it. Does anyone know if I will be able to peel this without too much cedar being torn out.
I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This job will require the use of a hot-air gun (used for paint stripping), a pair of pliers and a putty knife. Start by heating the fiberglass near one corner of the boat and work it loose with the putty knife. Then grab that portion with pliers and pull lightly on it while heating ahead of it with the hot-air gun. You should be able to eventually peel it all off. Determine the required heating time and pulling angle to produce the smallest amount of tear out. Once done, allow the surface to cool to room temperatue and sand the surface with 120 grit and patch any damaged areas then you are ready to re-glass it.

Please note: Do this work outside if possible. Otherwise work in a well ventilated area and wear a cartridge filtered mask.

PS: I have not yet attempted to remove fiberglass from a boat but this method is the most recommended by those who have "been there, done that".
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

I have some info written on my web site about major repairs on the "How To" page.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

Most likely a boat that age will have polyester resin in the fiberglass, rather than the epoxy used primarily today. While I have not stripped a boat this way either, it is supposed to work much better when removing polyester resin than epoxy. The challenge will be to make sure the shape of the boat does not change substantially as you work, since it will become much more flexible after you have removed fiberglass from one of the sides. Measure it now, and make some sort of forms to hold its shape. Put good glass on the outside before attempting to remove glass from the inside.

One other thing you could try that might work better than a heat gun is an infrared heater. I mention this having experience removing paint this way, and can confirm that it goes very well, and there is much less risk of burning with the infrared heater than with a heat gun. I made my heater by following this website:
http://www.oceanmanorhouse.com/?page=paintremoverv1
It would probably work well, but is probably not worth the bother unless you were also planning to remove paint from something, in which case it has my very high recommendation.
Alan
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Dave
Glen and Alan are right!
I pulled the bottoom on an old polyester canoe last Summer.
Do the outside first, and if you can cut, or score the old cloth with a utility knife, and pull off in strips. This works great.
If the patching was done with epoxy, this is where the heat gun will come in handy, just be careful ! If weather permits, do it outside !
Good Luck

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
canoedad

Thanks

Post by canoedad »

Hi All

This is great advice thanks. I'm 99% sure it's all epoxy, so hot glue gun time it is. Dad told me he accidentally used polyester somewhere and didn't like it. I'm pretty sure it's a repair on the other canoe. That one is becoming an overgrown planter next spring. Too far gone to save.

Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

so hot glue gun time it is
Dave, that would be hot-air gun!
canoedad

Whoops

Post by canoedad »

Boy I was in worse shape than I thought Friday. Sleep is a good thing.
Thanks