Finally Done Huron Cruiser!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Davesbuild

Finally Done Huron Cruiser!

Post by Davesbuild »

All done but haven't taken for a paddle yet!

Made a new paddle today for my wife. Maybe we will go for a maiden voyage tomorrow!

updated pics here!
http://home.cogeco.ca/~hotrods/Canoebuild/

Thanxs for all of the help from all in this forum and Bear Mountain for sharing their knowledge in Canoecraft!

On to #2 - in the spring...

Davesbuild
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Looks great, love the knots.
Cheers,
Bryan
David James

Post by David James »

Well done Dave! And you still have time left in the season to get out there and enjoy paddling in it. Congratulations...

Dave :applause
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Looks good Dave.

Did you install the gunnels before glassing the inside ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Thanks Jim (and All).

I glassed the inside and then installed the inner gunnels...same as the outside - glassed first - then gunnels.

Although my pics don't show too much detail.. I still have a few runs in the varnish - will sand final next spring - getting too cold for varnishing.

The gunnels are held on by dowels and re-inforced from the inside with brass screws. Still need to get bang strips on.

Hull is white cedar and trimmed with cherry and ash.

I think that my wife and I are going for a short paddle in about an hour for it's maiden voyage! The canoe is on the truck.

Although not as "pretty" as many that I have seen with some of the talented craftsmanship that I have seen on this page, the build was truly a great experience for me. I hope to get lots of use with it.

Thanks Again All...
Davesbuild
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Back from our maiden voyage.

Canoe functioned as expected. I was a bit concerned about the initial stability, but it was very reasonable to paddle and we didn't find it too tippy. My wife did express some concern about there not being too much room for her in the bow, but other than that, a very enjoyable paddle.

Updated photos are at the bottom of my canoe build page link, as shown in my posting above.

Davesbuild.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice! Congratulations on your sucessful build.
willo

Post by willo »

Great job , nice you got done in time for a Fall paddle. Whats next ? You can't stop at one !
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Thanks..

Not sure what to build next?? thinking of a Nomad, but still thinking on this... I don't have a heated workspace so I'm on hold till spring. A friend is building a wilderness tripper that I like also???

Dave
Danny Turner

Well done

Post by Danny Turner »

Great job. You must be proud. Did you have any difficulty with the cedar breaking at the knots ?
Danny
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Thanks Danny.

After ripping the strips and when I was sorting, I visually inspected and checked the intergity of each piece. I wanted the knots as a "visual" aspect of the canoe, however was aware that these could be weak points. So the knots that didn't "pass" my inspection were removed. As a result I still ended up with a good number of interesting knots in the hull.

I didn't have any break as I was assembling the hull.

I was out yesterday and paddled about 10 kilometres solo. The canoe performs very well. I am very pleased with the results...again, not as pretty as some, but I really do like using it! I've already put scratches on the bottom... many more to come I suppose! I built it to "use" it... :smile

Thanks for the post.

Dave