Finished

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Danny Turner

Finished

Post by Danny Turner »

Hi folks.
Well here I am three years later and finiished at last.I think it was worth the wait though but am sorry I did`nt spend more time when I had the cance and could have been in the water two years ago.
But now this one is finished it`s time to get the next two on their strongbacks.Hope you like the results.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... %20Turner/
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice, Danny! It was well worth the wait.

PS: I fixed the link for you. :wink
Danny Turner

Pics

Post by Danny Turner »

Thank you for fixing the link Glen and for the comment.I must keep up with all thats happening in the Forum from now on. It should help me get a move on with my next two canoes. My sons want me to have two ready for next spring. They have suggested a canoeing holliday, my grandaughter and her mum coming too. Three woodstrip canoes in one river here is virtually unknown. Hope it comes to pas next year.
Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so.
Karl Huebner

Re: Finished

Post by Karl Huebner »

Danny Turner wrote:Hi folks.
Well here I am three years later and finiished at last.I think it was worth the wait though but am sorry I did`nt spend more time when I had the cance and could have been in the water two years ago.
But now this one is finished it`s time to get the next two on their strongbacks.Hope you like the results.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... %20Turner/
Wow. Whose design is the canoe?
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Danny that's a fine piece of work. Verrrrrry nice job. Two thumbs up!
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Danny Turner

Finished

Post by Danny Turner »

Thanks for the great remarks folks.Karl I got the plans from Newfound Woodworks.The design is called Abenaki and although I followed the plans almost to the letter I did hang the seats instead of setting them on permanently set runners.
I followed Canoe Craft as far as possible although I did`nt quiye like the "bulls eye" finish effect on the hull so I finished off with the strips running straight from stern to bow 8 strips either side of the centre line.
Does anyone know where I can get 150mm fully threaded stainlesssteel coach bolts?
Can`t get them here for love nor money.
Thanks again guys.
tijos

Post by tijos »

Great job on the canoe Danny.

Looks like you have a nice spot to enjoy it and put it through is paces. When were these pictures taken...please don't tell me that Ireland is still that lush and green in October!

I'm curious about your sign-off:
"Ireland is a land of calm lakes and slow rivers but with no strip canoes upon them.I intend to change this and make it my resolution to do so."

Is canoeing a rare sport in Ireland, and if so how did you catch the bug.

Cheers,
Joseph
Danny Turner

Finished

Post by Danny Turner »

Yes Tijos, Ireland is that lush in October. Those pics were taken two weeks ago and today, 29th, Oct, my canoe is covered in snow. We haven`t had this weather for about 30 years.Infact it`s quite rare to see snow here before late December and then only for a day or so.The canoe goes back into the workshop tomorrow and will probably stay there till spring.
As to my "sign off". Canoeing is relatively unsupported here.You can walk the pathways on many rivers and shores of lakes and see very few canoes.By this I mean Open or Canadian, as opposed to closed types. Things are changing slowly.A new canal is opening along the Bann river which willl give access to ALL the waterways of Ireland, North and South.I intend to take advantage of this next year.My son (9th pic. centre of canoe with his daughter) wants me to make 2 more canoes for next year,He has got the bug. Look at his face.And this was his first time in a canoe.
I got the bug staying with my twin brother who lives in Toronto. We spent a week in Algonquin park and spent a lot of time canoeing.This was my first time in a canoe.So I wanted one too and decided to make my own.The rest is history , - as they say.
Thank you for the compliment.
tijos

Post by tijos »

That's a great story Danny.

It's nice to get the second and third generation hooked on such a fun sport.

You mentioned that you plan to build two more canoes. If your budget permits it, I would suggest building two completely different canoes, just so you could have a variety of styles at your disposal.

Some styles are better for solo paddling, others are better for taking several passengers along, some are more nimble, while others are more stable, etc.

I myself prefer a small "tumblehome" type when solo paddling, but prefer a larger "freighter" type when taking the family out.

Regardless of what you decide to do, you have made a really great start.

Cheers,
Joseph
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Danny
Looks great, I'm just one step behind you with my canoe.I`ve just put my final coat of varnish on!
I notice you don't have a keel band.I`m still hunting for a uk supplier but I think i may have found one if you want to add one to yours.
:applause
enjoy!
Alick
Danny Turner

finiished

Post by Danny Turner »

Hi Alick,
Thanks for the tip but I don`t fancy the extra weight of a keel band. And somehow don`t feel that the metal strip adds to the authentic look of a canoe.Sorry it`s just the way I feel about it.Thank you anyway
Danny
Davesbuild

Post by Davesbuild »

Very Nice Danny! Great Job.

What canoe are you thinking for your son?

I didn't see what kind of wood you used (both hull and accent)?

Nice to hear that you have enjoyed our Ontario nature! Algonquin is a nice part of our province.

Dave
Danny Turner

Finished

Post by Danny Turner »

Hi Dave,
Thanks foe your kind remark. Actually I was thinking of building another 2 canoes the same as the one here.I took my canoe on the river a week after thes pics were taken and I got a really great reception from the other canoeists at dock.
The hull is made primarilly of WRC, the accent strips are maple.I`m not too keen about using maple again - the grain goes crazy and all over the place.Difficult to plane down.
I used 8 strips of pirranah pine on the bottom of the canoe - just to change the colour a little.
I`ve stayed with my twin bro at Sandy Acres, Keene.Just by Serpent Mounds.I visited the canoe museum in Peterborough before I started to make my own canoe.Maybe being there germinated some sort of dormant need in me to make a canoe myself.Who knows!
Was hopeing to get there this year but it did`nt work out. You should see this country. It`s worth a visit.
Danny