Gift Ideas for husband building a canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Patricks Dad ~ Thanks for the recommendation on WhiskeyJack, I agree that the pictures I have seen do look beautiful.

AlanWS ~ Thanks for that tip, I hadn't even thought about him wanting to design a place for it. Also thanks for the router bit recommendations.

Willo ~ Thanks for your input on the paddles. I think I am leaning towards going this route for this present but still trying to decide what type, size, style, etc. Also, a really dumb question but do I want to get him one paddle or do you usually buy them as a pair if it will be solo canoing?

Thanks!
jradisch

Post by jradisch »

So I was wondering is there some item, tool, etc. that is a must for building a canoe that he may not already have?

The most important item I bought for building my canoe was a copy of Canoecraft.
ealger

Post by ealger »

Nothing cuts like a really sharp plane or chisel.
To get the ultimate edge, every woodworker needs these:
DMT W250EFNB 10" diamond plate, and
DMT B8250 base for the plate.

Ed...
Ed Alger
willo

Post by willo »

Some people like to have matching paddles. I do. But they are usually different sizes,longer in the stern and shorter in the bow. If he is going to be solo he will still need two paddles but you could try two different styles. Sounds like your not a canoe enthusiast , some of the best lone time I get with my wife is in the canoe on a nice quiet paddle .
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

jradisch~ I actually got him this book a while ago when he first started talking about building his own canoe. He loves it and has found it very helpful.

Ealger~ Thanks for these ideas. I'm adding it to my list (which is getting huge and should last me awhile!).

Willo~ Thanks for graciously answering my stupid question. Actually, I wouldn't say either of us are canoe enthusiasts yet but it is something that we are hoping to get into. This will be his first real introduction into the canoing world while I have some experience from my younger days with my family. I loved the experiences we had and am hoping my husband and I can share times like you have had with your wife. I realized I might have mis-spoke when I was thinking he would be soloing. I talked to him a big more today about his plans for style and size of canoe and it sounds like he is planning on a building one big enough for the both of us. So I think I'll go with two and maybe get one of them to fit me.

Thanks!
Denis

gift ideas

Post by Denis »

Hi Carrie

Good luck with your surprise and I hope you pull it off.

I would suggest looking at a sharpening system for him for his hand tools if he doesn't already have one he uses now. The lee Valley book has several (Mk.II Honing Guide 05M09.01)

Personally I would love the lee valley spokeshave (05P33.01) even tho I have several others already.

Another very nice item is a low angle block plane (05P22.61)

The spoke shave and block plane are expensive and are likely something he wouldn't purchase for himself.

Glen's suggestion for a brass plate is excellent.

Hope this is of some help to you

Denis from Lakefield Ontario
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Denis ~ Thanks for adding to the ideas. I know he doesn't have a sharpening system so that is a unique idea that I'll consider. I also really like the idea of the spokeshave with the paddle book that was mentioned earlier. I really appreciate the time you took to give me suggestions (especially with specific item numbers, that was very helpful!).

Thanks!
ealger

Post by ealger »

Carrie, 2 tools which haven't been mentioned are:
The PDK-211 ProPrep handle with scrapers. This unit comes with a crescent blade which is great for scraping the inside hull. The ProPrep is a nice tool for doing the initial shaping of both the outside as well as the inside hull.
The other tool is a Shinto wood rasp. It's indispensable for shaping the inner stems.
http://www.newfound.com/tools.htm

The PDK-211 is similar to the tool in my image to the left.
Ed....
Ed Alger
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Thanks for adding more suggestions. Also, thanks for giving me another source to shop for canoe related items. I'll keep the site bookmarked to give to my husband after the surprise is over so he can benefit as he builds his canoe.