Gift Ideas for husband building a canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Carrie

Gift Ideas for husband building a canoe

Post by Carrie »

I am completely new here and really know nothing about canoe building, which is why I am posting. My husband is pretty good at woodworking (houses, tables, beds, etc.) and has decided that he would now like to try his hand at building a canoe. This is a project he has wanted to do for quite some time and the time is finally right for him to get started. He has been doing research, reading books, etc. to learn about the craft and decide on a style he wants to build and plans on starting within a few weeks. He also has a major event in his life that I would like to commemorate with a gift and was thinking what better way than to get him a gift that could also be used as he begins his new project. So I was wondering is there some item, tool, etc. that is a must for building a canoe that he may not already have? Or it could even be something that isn't absolutely necessary but that you have found has been a great asset to you in your canoe building.

Thanks!
Carrie
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Wow! You are a fantastic person. If he is already an accomplished woodworker, he might have most of the tools he needs already but here's a list of tools I found useful when I first started building (this is extracted from a prior posting on this website):

New tools I never thought I needed but now can’t live without:

Spokeshave

Block plane

Michne stick

Japanese hand saw

Cabinet scraper

Router table

Random Orbital Sander

Laser level

Drill press

Surface planer

Well ok, I could live without a few of them but I don’t want to…

Old tools I still love & depend on:

Belt sander

Chisel

Scroll saw

Sabre saw

Power drill

Power miter saw

A block of wood & sandpaper

Strapping tape

Pencil (with eraser of course)

My paycheck…

Hope this helps!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

One non-tool item to add to Randy's list:

An engraved brass plaque to place on the bow deck with lettering such as

"Handcrafted by _ _ _ _ _"
The year of the build
possibly the "affectionate" name he decides to give to the canoe.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Three more items:

Make sure he has a good dust extraction system and a filtered mask such as this one which will filter out any harmfull dust or fumes:

And of course, safety goggles.

You could also get him a work apron with his name embroidered on it:

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/online ... ucts_id=66

tijos

Post by tijos »

It is very tough to buy tools for someone else.

You want to get them something they really desire, while at the same time you want it to be a surprise.

Here is my suggestion, based on what we do here at home:

1)order a free " Lee Valley Tools" catalog from leevalley.com or call 1-800-267-8767

2)give him a sharpie and tell him to circle what he likes

---
It sounds childish, but in the end, you get a list to choose from, and he gets both a surprise and what he wants.

---
I am in no way affiliated with Lee Valley, but they are a great company to do business with. No hassels and great customer service.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Patricks Dad ~ Thanks for the list. I know he has quite a few of the things on the list but I'm going to go through one by one and see if I can pull something from it.

Glen Smith~ I love the idea of the plaque. I'll definitely keep this idea for when he finishes the canoe. I think he has set up a good dust extraction system in the shop and also a filtered mask but he doesn't have an apron. I'll definitely consider that!

Tijo~ Yep, Lee Valley is a favorite around here. We usually do the sharpie/circle what you want method for birthdays and Christmas. I also completely agree that it is very tough to buy tools for someone else (especially my husband, he can be a bit particular) but this is something that he isn't even expecting a present for and so I'm really trying to go the surprise route this time. It has back fired on me before but that is why I thought I'd come to the experts and ask for advice.

I really appreciate the time you have all taken to give me some ideas. I've gotten some good leads and hopefully I will be able to figure out just the right thing. If you think of any more let me know.

Thanks!
Carrie
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I was just looking around the Bear Mountain site and forums a bit more and a possible idea came to me. However, it may be an awful idea and so I wanted to see what you all thought. What about a pair of nice paddles? I know that he will want to try to make his own at some point but I'm guessing it is fine to have a few pairs (different styles and sizes for different paddlers???). If you were just starting out building your first canoe would you see this as a nice gift or would you be dissapointed that you didn't get to make your first set? Also, any ideas of where to buy something like this (do any of you sell some???) and what to look for?

Thanks again,
Carrie
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Hi Carrie,
I hope that's a psuedonym because if he's doing his research he'll end up here eventually.

Some really good ideas have been put forward that I wouldn't have thought of, like the plaque and the apron.

If he already has a plane, then another one can never hurt, especially if it's a nice quality one. If he has a block plane, think of complementing it with a jack plane (larger) or an apron plane (smaller).

Paddles are a good idea. As you mentioned, he may want to build his own, but one can never have too many. Grey Owl is one company that makes good ones, but htere are others. Drop into the local paddling shop and have a look at what they sell. Just do not get your quality paddles at Canadian Tire.

In fact one can never have too many:
  • clamps
    planes
    boats
    paddles
    clamps
    boats
:laughing
Cheers,
Bryan
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Also, a spokeshave is a very handy tool for paddle building. Perhaps a copy of the book Canoe Paddles: A Complete Guide to Making Your Own by Warren & Gidmark, plus a spokeshave would make a nice gift (or one or the other depending on your budgets.

By the way, quality paddles will probably cost about $70-$120 each. One piece or laminated, either can be very nice.

Bryan

(p.s. If this is my wife, cleverly disguising her name by changing the K to a C, I already have the book, go for the jack plane) ;)
tijos

Post by tijos »

I've got some non-tool related ideas.

Being cheap in nature, I will never spring for one of the nice inflatable life preservers that go for about $130, I make do with the cheap $30 foam ones. Consequently, most of the time it just stays at the bottom of the canoe. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but I would be happy to get one.

Once your husband has finished his canoe, he will baby it. That means that the days of keeping your feet dry by sitting in the canoe while onshore, then shoving off by scraping the bottom of the canoe till you reach water, is over. He will wade into knee-deep water, then get into his baby. I would suggest some quality synthetic sandals that dry quickly. If he is of a certain age, the thought of wearing sandals might be a tough sell, but once he sees how comfortable they can be, he'll get over it. (I have some Merrell's and love them).
Cam

Post by Cam »

Similar to the plaque mentioned above, a custom branding iron may be an idea. Useful for other projects too http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... at=1,41115
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Pawistik ~ I didn't think to use a psuedonym, which is too bad since I'm sure you are right about him finding this site. Also, sorry, but not your wife in disguise. I checked his shop and he has 4 planes but I don't know what type they are (unless really big, medium, and tiny count :embarassed ). So I better stay away from that idea unless I can get him to explain the types he has. I like the idea of the spokeshave and book so I will definitely consider that one. Also, thanks for the suggestion on paddle companies. I checked with my closest paddle shop and they carry Bending Branches, Sawyer, and WhiskeyJack..... are these considered good brands?

Tijos~Those are very good ideas and staying away from tools may be the best way for me to go right now.

Cam~I really like this idea but I see that it takes 5-8 weeks and I'm a little late on planning this so that won't work this time around. I really like the idea of being able to "sign" the boat though so I'm going to go with this or the plaque for a future present.

Again, I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful ideas. I can only go with one this time around but now I have an arsenal of terrific ideas for future purchases.

Thanks!
Carrie
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Whisky Jack paddles are really beautiful. I'd highly recommend them.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

Don't wait too long on letting him know about the plaque because he may want to design a good spot for it. He is not likely to have the router bits for cutting bead and flute edges on the strips might be useful, and those who use them do so early in the building process.
Alan
willo

Post by willo »

Paddles make a great gift. My wife bought me a nice pair after my first two builds. I am starting to make my own now but I know the two pair she gave me will be kept close to hand at camp.