Building a canoe outside

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Fredzen

Building a canoe outside

Post by Fredzen »

Hello,

I would like to know if some of you have built their canoe outside ? Pro's and con please.

I would like to built my first canoe but the only option is outside. Already ordered and received the Freddom 17 plan.

I was thinking to built in the summer (around 20 celsius) and put tarp while not working on the project. I know it's not ideal, but before undergoing such a project, I would like to be sure that it's still ok. I have already ask 2-3 builders, but the opinion seem to diverge...

Any detail is welcome ![/b]
If I had known ...
Cam

Post by Cam »

If you're able to set up the strongback on solid ground (ex. concrete) so it will stay true for you, and it's well protected from the weather (moisture and sun) and you KNOW that you'll have it finished before there is any chance of extreme cold or snow, and you are prepared to wait for ideal conditions before fibreglassing and varnishing...I don't see why not.

Personally, I'd rather not risk it, but that said, I have a garage that I could take over. If it's outside or nothing, it's a tougher call. You just need to be sure that you control all the variables you can, especially when it comes time for fibreglass, because if you rush into this step with less than ideal conditions, you will end up with a less than ideal result, ranging from a less than stellar finish, to something that doesn't cure properly and must be removed...
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

I built one outside in Minnesota in 1972 or so. I remember spending a lot of time covering it carefully with plastic as I finished working, and waiting for it to stop raining. If you can find someplace with a roof, that would be much preferable. But the roof is the important part, except for your comfort. Other canoes I've built in a garage without heat or AC, which works fine in the summer. Canoes outrank cars, as far as I'm concerned.
Alan
Fredzen

Post by Fredzen »

Thank you for you're answers. I understand that it is less than perfect to built outside, but like Cam wrote : it's outside or nothing !

But i would really like to go ahead with this project ...
If I had known ...
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Sure, I would build one outside. I'm pretty sure that's how canoe building started!

s
Denis

outside

Post by Denis »

perhaps one of the portable car shelters?

I would at least tarp the work area with a large enough tarp to keep the sun off esp when applying the epoxy. I built mine in a old woodshed i converted to a storage area and it worked for me as long as it was warm enough

Denis