Gorrilla Glued Stems are easy and quick

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BowneCR

Gorrilla Glued Stems are easy and quick

Post by BowneCR »

Just finished steaming and laminating my stems - after a botched attempt at an epoxy lamination, I consulted the board and found that some are using Gorilla Glue. After putting together 2 sets of stems using Gorilla Glue I am a big fan - Here are the pros:
1. Gorrilla Glue relies on water for activation - According to the tech specs, Gorilla Glue is optimum on Ash with between 10% and 25% moisture content. Steamed strips don't need to be dried nearly as long.
2. No mixing with Gorilla Glue - this was the biggest fault with my first lamination, of the two batches of epoxy I mixed, one had a bad ratio.
3. Cure time and temperature are much more forgiving than most epoxies.
4. You can postpone your big epoxy purchase until later in the project.
5. Squeezed out gorilla glue planes and sands easily.
6. You can reef down your clamps without much fear - Gorilla Glue reccomends 10-12kg/cm2 of pressure on Ash. Your goal is to achieve very tight contact.

Cons:
1. Squeeze out - there is a lot of it as the glue expands.
2. Gap filling - as is discussed on their webpage, foamy gorilla glue actually has no structural integrity. This means that while the foamy cured glue may fill a gap, it won't provide strength - it is therefore important to eliminate gaps if possible.