King Board Edge Treatment

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
arudson

King Board Edge Treatment

Post by arudson »

I am ready to start the deck of my Endeavour 17 and I’m confused about the King Board. I plan on planking out from the King Board so I do not want to use the square edge option. Although it doesn’t come right and say it, KayakCraft seems to be pointing me to milling a cove on either edge. The problem is, the non-square edge King Board available on the Bear Mountain Boats website is a double bead. Since I'm making my own King Board this isn’t necessarily a problem, but I can’t help but be bothered by this apparent contradiction.

I would appreciate any confirmation that indeed double cove is the way to go Thanks.
Alan Rudson
Nanaimo, BC
woodshop@shaw.ca
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I always use a double bead for the king plank when planking out from the centerline.
willo

Post by willo »

You can start either way, when planking, going cove to bead or bead to cove. A double bead king plank is made to plank cove to bead. You put the glue in the cove first then place the plank.Both Canoe-Craft and Kayak-Craft show bead to cove , but Ted Moores now planks cove to bead. It's nice to see a lot f kayak builds going on. My 9 year old son and I are just starting a Venture build for him .So far we have the molds cut out and the stems bent. I made the strips by my self.
Gene Burreson

Post by Gene Burreson »

I just finished the deck on an Endeavour. I cut my own king plank and put a cove on each edge, thus planking cove to bead. I did this mainly because I think it is easier to trim the cove edge when fitting to the covering board, rather than trim the bead edge. Trimming the bead edge leaves a very fragile double tip on the top and bottom of the plank.
arudson

Post by arudson »

Thanks for sharing your views. I think I am able to follow the comments but it seems that the terminology is inconsistent. I really want to seek out others viewpoints and offer the following definitions for clarity.

Double Bead (===) - planking from here is from bead to cove
Double Cove )===( - planking from here is from cove to bead

The illustrations in KyakCraft clearly show cove to bead and similar to Gene’s comment, I thought fitting the planks to the covering boards would be precarious going from bead to cove. Seems to me it should be easier trimming away the cove edge and pivoting these pieces into place working them into the socket (cove) of the previously installed piece.

While cove to bead installation sounds best, the hiccup seems to be applying glue to the coves. The book speaks to preparing a 2-3 strips at the workbench and then installing these all together. This will limit the instances of applying blue to the leading edge cove of the last installed piece, but still results in many awkward glue deliverys where gravity will work against us causing glue drips into the unprotected inside hull. I suppose some covering could be put down atop the exposed inside hull which may be a good idea anyway to prevent any epoxy drips when glassing to deck.

I really want to do this in the most intelligent way and being able to canvas others for their view is very helpful.
Alan Rudson
Nanaimo, BC
woodshop@shaw.ca