Two routers, one pass...

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Larry in Champaign

Two routers, one pass...

Post by Larry in Champaign »

Anyone have photos or plans for a two router setup for cutting bead and cove? I have a couple of ideas for this, but being lazy, I'm hoping to borrow a few ideas from those who have already done this. Thanks,

Larry
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Larry,
I think the major challenge for this would be that with WRC, most people use a climb cut to help eliminate tear-out. Don't know how you would do this unless you mounted one router bit up and one bit down.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Don

two routers

Post by Don »

Hi
I don't have any pictures but I have done 10 boats that way and it works quite well. There is a fair amount a fooling around to get both routers set up so they are cutting evenly but once that is done, it goes quite quickly. Both routers are set upside down so one is cutting backward but the amount of material taken is so small that tearout was not a problem. Also, no danger of kickback by the time you have the hold downs and finger boards set and, again, you are taking very little material.
Since I tend to use wood that has been is only rough sawn in bush mills, there is the added advantage of making each strip a uniform width (I run the strips through a thickness planner to make them even and to cut down on some of the sanding.
It is probably not worth the time and effort to build a two router table for one boat but, if doing several (or you think you might do several) then it is worth it.
I believe I got the original idea from Rob Macks who post frequently on http://www.kayakforum.com -- Nick Shade's Guillemot Kayak forum.
anyway, good luck
don
Finding worms is a sign God wants you to go fishing.
Markham_David

two routers

Post by Markham_David »

I used two routers to mill strips for my Freedom 17. As Greg said, I mounted one router upside down in my router table, then built an auxiliary table which attached to top of the router table and supported a second router right side up. The setup worked, but it was a lot of work to build and adjust.

At the time, I was driven by the elegance of cutting both edges in one pass, but now I simply cut one edge at a time. The adjustment time required was a factor in my decision to abandon double-cutting, but the main factor was the problems inherent in storing and handling strips with both a strong bead and a weak cove. Handling was too fiddly, and I had too many damaged coves for my liking.

Now, I rip, thickness-plane and bead all the strips I'll need - then add a few more just in case - and cut coves individually as I use the strips. No storage: the strip goes from router to forms with minimal handling and rarely suffers cove damage. Setup is also much quicker, and I simply leave the router setup with the cove cutter until I've finished stripping.

All of this is, of course, a personal choice. I'll see if I can rustle up the auxiliary table and take some pics to post. I may have some pics of the setup in use; if so, I'll post those as well. Then you can decide!

Dave