installing a purchased hatch

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jimmar57

installing a purchased hatch

Post by jimmar57 »

I've started stripping a Resolute. My first kayak, second boat.

If I were to purchase a hatch and cover like this one:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/ca ... /index.htm

can it be glued in with epoxy or is there some other preferred installation method?
Ross Leidy

Post by Ross Leidy »

I installed a similar set of hatches in my last kayak. The hatches I used were made by Kajaksport, but they're probably close to the ones you referenced. I scuffed up the bottom surface of the rim with 60 grit sandpaper and used thickened epoxy to glue it into the opening. No problem with adhesion so far.

Ross

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Ross, did you attach them to the rounded deck structure or did you build a recess to receive the hatches? Your photo shows a recess. This may be the part that interests Jim.
Ross Leidy

Post by Ross Leidy »

Glen Smith wrote:Ross, did you attach them to the rounded deck structure or did you build a recess to receive the hatches? Your photo shows a recess. This may be the part that interests Jim.
Glen,
You are quite right. I fashioned a recess from layers of glass and carbon, and I mounted the hatch ring to that. However, that was just a method for establishing a flat plane on which to mount the rim. I could have used a plywood disk or stripped the recess, too. Attaching the ring would be the same. Thickened epoxy seems to work just fine.

Ross
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

On my Iggy, I built recessed hatches using carbonfiber and fiberglass. Before that on my Siskiwit Bay I built hatches with plywood and strip recesses. The carbonfiber/glass version was easier to make and looked better, IMHO.