Paint strongback?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
canadian_eh

Paint strongback?

Post by canadian_eh »

Hi all,

I've been VERY slowly working on my canoe for some time but I'm really ramping it up now. So far I have my stem strips cut ready for bending, 2 paddles carved, seat frames ready for varnish and the strongback almost done....this is where my question is.

Are there any cons to painting the strongback? Mine is made out of particle board and I'm worried about the impact of humidity in the garage, we've had a few wet days lately....now that I'm writting this, I guess I have the same question about my forms as well since they are particle board too!

I was thinking about just using white exterior primer or maybe oil/stain?

Thx -Ron
David James

Post by David James »

Hi Ron

I'm only on my second build so I'm no expert, but I can't think of any reason not to paint the strongback other than it adds yet another task between now and the completion of your boat.

If you are concerned with humidity in your garage (sounds like mine) then I would go ahead and paint. I would also think about adding a center leg to the strongback to help prevent it from sagging.

Just my humble opinion. Enjoy your project! What are you building?

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Gene Burreson

Post by Gene Burreson »

Ron,

I've built two redbirds, one cottage cruiser and two endeavor kayaks using particle board molds and the same strongback for all builds. I live in Virginia where it gets VERY humid in the summer and I work in a garage that is not temperature or humidity controlled. I have never had a problem with humidity affecting the particle board; just don't spill water on it. There is not reason why you can't paint it, but it seems unnecessary to me.

Gene
Karl Huebner

Re: Paint strongback?

Post by Karl Huebner »

Ron

I constructed my most recent strongback in the classic Ted Moores sytle. It is painted in a light cream color, some sort of latex, I believe. It was "mismatched" paint at Lowes and very cheap. I wrote copulos notes on the strongback as I went long... I was just handier to bend down or bend over that to find a piece of paper that I would have lost ... harder to misplace a strongback....
I also painted mine, using whatever was on sale at Lowes' ... selected a light color that I could write notes on as I went along.

Karl
canadian_eh

Post by canadian_eh »

Thank for the input...adding another task to the list is not really something that I really want to do as this is moving slow enough as it is. If I do paint, I like the idea of using the mismatched stuff...great idea. Adding a 3rd leg sounds like a good idea.

I especially like the "misplace a strongback" comment lol.

The canoe I'm building is a the Prospector from Bear Mountain. Can't wait to see it take shape. Was planning to buy my wood this weekend!

Ron