Buying plastic cane

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sluggo

Buying plastic cane

Post by sluggo »

Hi,
Any suggestions on where to buy plastic cane in Canada? Canoecraft mentions WH Kilby but their website doesn't say anything about plastic cane (I guess I could phone to confirm). I've also checked out HH Perkins.

Is there a preferred width for cane, maybe 3.0mm? I would assume that one of the half bunches (500ft roll) would suffice for 2 seats?

Finally, about how long does it take to cane 2 seats? I'd like to do this, but if it holds up my launch by a month then I might not be able to do it, as I'm already tight for time for the summer!

cheers
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

www.hhperkins.com

Buy the plastic stuff. It is very realistic looking. I have used it on 4 seats with great success and lots of compliments.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

That's the website I was looking at. Which width did you buy?
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

I used plastic cane for my canoe seats. They proved to be extremely comfortable.

I caned them while watching television. Each seat took only about two evenings.

Jeff
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

The cane size depends on the hole size and spacing between holes. For a typical canope seat using 1/4 inch holes spaced at 3/4 inch, the medium (3.00mm) plastic from HHPerkins will work great. Have fun...I think you will find weaving your own seats pretty rewarding!!!

:applause
Last edited by Juneaudave on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Awesome, thanks guys. Juneaudave, I think you have the hole sizing/spacing mixed up for some of the cane sizes. ex, 3.00mm would be 1/4" hole spaced at 3/4"?

cheers
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

sluggo wrote:Awesome, thanks guys. Juneaudave, I think you have the hole sizing/spacing mixed up for some of the cane sizes. ex, 3.00mm would be 1/4" hole spaced at 3/4"?

cheers
Fixed that!!! It's 3.00mm for a 1/4 inch hole spaced at 3/4 inch.