Time for Touch-Ups and a Minor Repair

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bill Robb

Time for Touch-Ups and a Minor Repair

Post by Bill Robb »

Hello again...

I launched my Freedom 17 last season and enjoyed a summer of tripping (and as careful as I was, I 'found' a few rocks. Nothing serious, except for some scratches). I've been out on several trips this season - when I returned from my last trip, I discovered that my stern brass stem rail had disappeared! I know I didn't hit anything while going backwards, nor did I drag my canoe over any immovable object, so I'm puzzled as to how it 'fell' off.

When I originally installed it, I used thickened expoxy and straps, and thought it was on forever. I didn't use any screws.

I brought my canoe into my shop tonight, and scraped the remaining epoxy off the stem, and am ready to re-install a new brass stem rail. I'm thinking this time, I'll use PL1000 construction adhesive, supplemented by six 3/4" brass screws. I also sanded the boat with 400 grit sandpaper in hopes of removing the scratches. Which leads to two questions...

1) I've gotten the scratches to a point where I can barely feel them when I run my hand over them. Do you think that two more coats of Epifanes High Gloss varnish will make them disappear?

2) Has anyone used construction adhesive / screws to attach a brass stem rail? Is there something elase that is more permanent?

As usual, thanks for any advice you provide...

Bill