Eastern Red Cedar???

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
SamsDad

Eastern Red Cedar???

Post by SamsDad »

Long ago time poster and reader here, checking back in... I helped a buddy cut down a storm damaged Eastern Red Cedar, or Red Juniper according to the National Audobon Society book. Is this acceptable for canoe building? I haven't looked up density or anything to check against WRC, so not sure there. Just seeing if anyone has any experience. Thanks, Ben
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Here is a link to the info I found on this wood: http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/So ... irgin.html

It states that one of its uses is for small boats but I believe this is an oily wood and would need to be cleaned with lacqueur thinner before applying epoxy. Also note the toxicity of this wood which is comparable to WRC or NWC so protect your respiratory system by wearing a chemical filter facemask at all times.
Rick

Post by Rick »

It grows near Lake Ontario to the south... IIRC, it's hard and heavy, not a true cedar, a juniper. Probably difficult to sand for that reason, unless you use narrow strips.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Isn't eastern red cedar also known as aromatic cedar? I've used some for lining a closet, but not in the boats. From what I've seen, doesn't flex anywhere near as nicely as WRC. The shop would smell nice, though, and you'd have no moths.