tools for caning seats?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sluggo

tools for caning seats?

Post by sluggo »

I'm about to leave for a camping trip and I thought I'd bring a seat frame with me along with cane so I can lounge around the campsite drinking beer and work on my canoe all at the same time.

I have the cane, scissors/snips, pegs, seat frame, and Gilpatrick's book. I thought I could also bring a pair of needle nose pliers and a clamp. Would I need anything else? Like something thin or pointed? It seems pretty straight forward to me but those with experience may have a few small suggestions.

thanks
Scottcam

Post by Scottcam »

Take a scratch awl - and some patience.
nicktheww2fanatic

Post by nicktheww2fanatic »

you might also want to bring some Vaseline for lubricating the cane so it doesn't burn itself
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

I'd take a few band-aids as well. Not to frighten anyone...maybe it's just me and my "Princess" soft hands...but I've had the odd occasion to need one or two when caning. That stuff can be sharp.

Post us a photo when you return with the finished seats.
nicktheww2fanatic

Post by nicktheww2fanatic »

are you using natural or synthetic cane?
frugal

Post by frugal »

If you are using natural cane I would not use Vaseline but instead soak the cane for 10-15 minutes in water/glycerine solution. Vaseline will mess up your finishing later.

Clothespins help hold the cane as you soak it. One idea I've seen for looping the cane for soaking is to use the inside of the lid of a large mayo jar.

You will notice that each strip of cane has some rougher spots as you loop them in preparation to soak. What I noticed was that these rough spots will catch in the weave if they are pulled in one direction but not in the other. If you pay attention to that your caning will go easier.

Another thing I discovered the hard way was that the first few strips should not be pulled tight. Of course when I went back to the instructions I was using, they mentioned that. The first strips will tighten up as you add the fourth strip and diagonals.