Help my cane seats have collapsed!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alick burt

Help my cane seats have collapsed!

Post by alick burt »

Hi Folks
I've had my canoe on the water about three months now and am still loving every minute.
Unfortunately my seats have both collapsed.They are made using plastic cane sheet held into a routed groove by a strip of tightly pressed in and glued cane.After very little use( as i spend most of my time sitting on the yolk anyway.)they have popped out.I used titebond to glue them in and a tapered wedge of wood to press them in.Would using a better adhesive cure the problem or might it be better to use a few veneer pins to hold the cane in place?
regards
Alick :sad
frugal

Post by frugal »

Perhaps it was the glue since Titebond is not waterproof. Titebond III would have been a better choice.
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thanks for your reply Frugal
I don't think they have been getting very wet at all but a better adhesive will probably help.Would a PU glue such as goriilla glue be the answer?I know this would be waterproof and the excess would be easy to clean off.
:thinking
regards
Alick
frugal

Post by frugal »

I would definiteley NOT use Gorilla glue. I've used it a few times and it foams like crazy. It would take forever to clean the stuff out of the caning. I'd go with Titebond III or epoxy but these would make the caning permanent. I've never used plastic cane but I would suspect that it doesn't have the same grip as natural cane in a pressed in installation. At this point I would err on the side of caution and go permanent. If the caning ever breaks it will likely be easier to replace the seats than it will be to replace the cane. In that case I would go natural and weave it on the next seat.
tszpieg

Post by tszpieg »

Frugal-
Just curious what type of finish you apply to your natural cane seats, if any, and how has it held up?

Alick-
Depending on how your seat frames look, you could always just drill the necessary holes and weave the cane this winter, raother than using the sheet type cane. The weaving is really not that bad. Goes quickly once you've begun and get a pattern going.. Just a thought.

Thanks,

Terry
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Alick, one question is trotting in my mind..............................did you install the cane or is this a purchased seat?
frugal

Post by frugal »

We used Spar Varnish but that was just this past spring. it's too early to tell how it's holding up but we don't expect any problems.
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thanks again for all your comments.
I have re glued with a waterproof pva and all seems fine so far.I made the frames and seats myself Glen so I only have myself to blame!
regards
Alick :smile
alick burt

they've fallen out again!

Post by alick burt »

it hasnt taken long and they've fallen out again.This time i have routed my groove and changed it for a rebate.i have then made some beading to screw down ontop.I have stapled the plastic cane into the rebate,covered bead cane and rebate in epoxy adhesive and screwed the beads tight ontop! hopefully this will work....