Started Building A Adirondack Guide Boat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Charger1966

Started Building A Adirondack Guide Boat

Post by Charger1966 »

Hello Everyone, This is my first of ,I hope many to come, Post on this new and exciting, To Me Project. While I was on Vacation in the Adirondack Mts. the second week of August my wife and I went to a book signing in Long Lake, New York. Walking around I was really not into the afair so I basically just tagged along behind my wife. Let me fill you in on a very important detail about me, I'm legally blind and can't read a thing with out allot of work.I usually do all my reading on the computer then I can magnify it to a very large print so I can see it. Ok Back to the short story.My wife is always trying to find me different things to build as I love woodworking. Since I can no longer work at my profession (Heavy Equipment Mechanic). I slipped away from her for a few minuets to get a refreshment and when I hooked back up with her she was carrying a book. I asked what the title was and who it was for. She told me it was a book on How To Build an Adirondack Guide Boat by John Michney and Micheal J. Ollevtteit and it was for you. Ok I said and what do you want me to do with it? She said Build the boat so you will have something to do this fall and winter. We walked back over to where John had the books laid out and asked if he would sign it and graciously he did. I talked with him for a while and he reasured me that I can build it with the knowledge that I have in woodworking..
Well since that day I have been in contact with John and visited his shop and talked for two hours. I didn't want to leave but being a Diabetic and not yet eaten that night I had to go. He wished me luck and told me if I had any problems to contact him and he would walk me out of them.
Yesterday I started to build it. I have almost all the rib templates cut out and I should finish them sometime this week. I will keep the forum updated weekly If I remember to. I hope by spring I will be launching the boat for the first time.
For those of you who like to watch a woodworker doing their thing, Here is my website link on Ustream . When I'm in the shop I have the webcam running.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/woodworki ... -a-charger
Wish me luck in the adventure that I am undertaking and I'll keep making that sawdust.
Lance Chase
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Lance, very nice to have you onboard. I hope you fully enjoy your project and we are all looking forward to progress reports. John is a great guy!
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Hi Lance! Boy I love the Adirondack Guide Boats. Sounds to me like you're already off to a good start. Once you see what takes shape under your hands you won't be able to build just one.

We saved you a spot - we knew you were coming see. (well, Glen knew you were anyway)
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
frugal

Post by frugal »

Welcome Lance.

I expect your boat to be an inspiration to others. I know a guy that is completely blind from Diabetes and he rebuilt an antique truck by feel. He still does work for other sighted people and it's amazing to see what he's done.
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

Hi Lance,

Best of luck on the guide boat. The folks on this board can be very helpful, with the possible exception of myself. :laughing
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Big Woody wrote:Hi Lance,

Best of luck on the guide boat. The folks on this board can be very helpful, with the possible exception of myself. :laughing

Nice choice of font size there Woody.
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

Twas just my twisted sense of humor. The Devil made me do it. :crazy
My father was also legally blind from macular degeneration before he died and would greatly magnify things and look off center to read them.
Charger1966

Post by Charger1966 »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. As of tonight I have all the Templates made for the ribs and the Stems. I also completed one form for the "0" rib. Keep Making That Sawdust, Lance
"Keep Making That Sawdust"
dmeenkster

Post by dmeenkster »

Keep us up to date on your progress. The guide boat is on a short list of boats I would like to build.
Charger1966

Update

Post by Charger1966 »

Hey Everyone, Well as of today I have finished All the Template, Forms and now the Three Stands for the Strongback. I hope to be shopping for the Spruce this weekend. We'll see how that goes. Here are some pictures that I took.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9854/agb1.jpg
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/1102/agb3.jpg

Update again in a week
Charger1966

Update on the AGB

Post by Charger1966 »

Hey Everyone, Well I managed to scrape up some money and got a few of the tools that I needed to build the Strong Back. I had a neighbor give me the 3/4" Plywood to build it with and I just finished it this morning. I have attached a few pictures of it mounted on the stands. Well the next thing is to start the glue up of the Ribs. Until next time

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/429/img00079p.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/8813/img00078j.jpg
Charger1966

Update of the AGB

Post by Charger1966 »

Hello Everyone, Well another week and more things have been done on my boat. I have finished all the seat parts. Bow,Stern,Middle seats and the Backrests for the Middle and Bow Seats. Here is a picture of the Middle Seat all Stained and waiting for the sanding and the Varnish. I hope to be Varnishing them by next week and then Caning them the week after that.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5340/img00085ff.jpg

See you next week with another update.