Freedom 15 launched

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sluggo

Freedom 15 launched

Post by sluggo »

Last weekend I launched my Freedom 15 (stretched to 16'). It's already back in the shop, since I haven't varnished it yet. I'm going to start spraying it today with System 3 wr-lpu.

Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

:applause :applause :applause Looks beautiful!!! That'a a heirloom for sure, now you need to get out and enjoy it!!!!
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Great job Doug!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Beautiful canoe! :applause
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

She looks Awesome! You should be very proud. Enjoy it!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Thanks everyone, and thanks for all of the help and suggestions along the way!
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Sluggo,

Very nice!!!

I am interested to hear:

a. how much she weighs;

b. location of your thwarts (and your intended functions); and

c. paddling impressions.

I almost built a stretched F15, but opted for a different approach. My canoe is nearly finished, but a move across the country and resettling has slowed down the final touches.

Enjoy your finely crafted vessel!

Snowman
Snowman back East
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

Wow, A wonderful canoe for you! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Do you have any sage words for us now that it is done?
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

Congratulatons!!
A truly beautiful boat. I know the work that went into it-I am just finishing up our Freedom 15 also-built the seat frames today and will hopefully install them tomorrow.

I also would be interested in your weight/seat locations as well. I have another 15' boat that I measured and am anticipating the seat locations now. We have about a 40 pound difference between my wife and I.

I assume that you also made the matching paddle?? Very nice work. I like the accent stripe on the boat. And the stems are unique

What was your impression from paddling it?

I hope you enjoy your beautiful new boat
Vann Evans
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Hi guys,

The canoe weighs in at 57lbs after all the hardware and stuff is installed. I placed the foreward seat right as the plans indicate, x a factor of 1.08 to make up the difference from 15' to 16'. For the rear seat the plans give a range. I simply put the seat at the furtherst aft position as given on the plans. This was to make more space in front of the seat and keeping in mind that the canoe is stretched. The center thwart is at the center as per the plans and I didn't try to balance the canoe for portaging. The 2nd thwart is a kneeling thwart for when I'm paddling solo. It is 18" aft of centre. I tried paddling it solo and found it a bit tricky but I was sitting aft of the thwart whereas I now think I'm supposed to sit forward of the thwart (I've never used a kneeling thwart before, nor have I solo paddled a modern assymetrical canoe). I think if I'm foreward of the thwart, the position will be pretty good. The trim wasn't too far off even with me behind the thwart.

With my wife and two kids in the canoe, after a couple of solid strokes the canoe really started to slip through the water nicely. It definitely moves easier through the water than the coleman canoes that we've rented recently (no surprise there), and it was extremely stable for us and the two young kids (4 and 6).

Vann, I would suggest that you place the forward seat as the plans indicate and then keep the back seat closer to the thwart in the range given on the plans. If I recall correctly, the range is 48" to 55", so maybe aim for 48" to 51". I think it would be very hard to really know what's up without trying it first. Maybe stick a couple of milk crates in the canoe and take it for a quick paddle. I just chose positions for different reasons (maximize space between seats) and it's fine by me.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Very, very nice. :applause