Fishing Line Method Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jpowers123

Fishing Line Method Question

Post by jpowers123 »

I have read all of the discussions I could find regarding the fishing line method of stripping and have folowed all of the links to the many pictures of this method. It looks like when using the fishing line method everyone is utilizing the fishing line on each strip at each station mold, and is leaving the fishing line in place, moving forward with the next piece. Doesn't that leave a void on each and every strip the width of the fishing line? Does that pose any problem with voids once you start fairing out the hull?
I have been working on my Prospector project and am now ready to start stripping. Horray!! It has been a long journey up to this point and I have been thinking it would be nice to avoid the staples.
Thanks for the help.
Rick in Pender Harbour

Post by Rick in Pender Harbour »

Hi

The fishing line is only 25 lb test, and is passing between the strips over the bead, so ends up pretty much undetectable once the hull is sanded and glassed. I use one piece of fishing line per strip, start at the bow (or stern) and wrap around and around until you reach the other end, then cut and tie off. Usually I try to pass over the strips at each station, and once in between stations.

Rgds

Rick
jpowers123

Post by jpowers123 »

So you are actually spiraling the line around the strip from fron to back? Are you anchoring it to a screw at each station mold as well?
Rick in Pender Harbour

Post by Rick in Pender Harbour »

Yes, that's how I do it. You want to be anchoring to a screw that is below the level of the strip, so that the strip is held in and down.

rgds

Rick
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

You can't see through the small gap left by the line because the strips are installed bead up, so the path of the line is curved. That size gap causes no problems, though I suppose there are differences of opinion as to whether the small holes left by staples constitute a problem.
Alan