Kayak Bulkheads

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jackmenges

Kayak Bulkheads

Post by jackmenges »

Hi: I'm building the Resolute from the Kayak Craft book and have a question on bulkheads. The text describes both hard and soft bulkheads - the hard being glassed in solidly and the softer Ethafoam beded in 3m 5200. I'm wondering if the hard style (strips glassed both sides) couldn't be cut 5/16 short all around and bedded in 5200 as well. The 5200 would reduce the "hard spot" on the hull and still give a watertight fit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I haven't tried it with 5200 but I have installed a few bulkeads "floating" in marine silicone. No problems reported in the last 5 years of use by the owners.

I believe 5200 would work as well.

PS: I only had about a 1/8" gap around the bulkheads.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I also installed my bulkheads similar to Glen. I used marine silicone with approx 1/8" gap, but also use backer blocks on the face opposite of the cockpit (I believe I used 4 per bulkhead). The blocks were glues to the hull. They are meant to take the pressure loads in the event of a flood (or gear/foot migration). They also serve as positive reference/holding points during bulkhead installation.
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

[quote="Snowman"]I also installed my bulkheads similar to Glen. I used marine silicone with approx 1/8" gap, but also use backer blocks on the face opposite of the cockpit (I believe I used 4 per bulkhead). The blocks were glues to the hull. They are meant to take the pressure loads in the event of a flood (or gear/foot migration). They also serve as positive reference/holding points during bulkhead installation.[/quote]

That reminds me that I also used backer blocks for the bulkheads on the two kayaks in which I used silicone for the bulkheads.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Ditto ... I also fit the strip/glass bulkhead panels a little loose, and used silicone to fill the ~1/8" gap ... I didn't use backer blocks, but for my front bulkhead, which serves double-duty as my footbrace, I did reinforce the silicone fillet with glass & epoxy for additional strength ... the epoxy doesn't seem to adhere to the silicone, so leaves the bulkhead "floating" somewhat ... I have unintentionally run up onto shallow submerged rock, in rough conditions, with no apparent problems.

Silicone is a pain to clean off after it is cured, so next time I may use something like the 3M 5200.