Epoxy, Preferred products/recommended manufacture

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Offroad47

Epoxy, Preferred products/recommended manufacture

Post by Offroad47 »

I've read several threads lately about Epoxy to lay-up the fiberglass cover. Most seemed to be at lease months if not years old. It seem there is no clear preferred manufacture so I'll present my question in this manner. What manufacture do you use and what are the advantages of using "xxxx" over the other manufactures? Strengths, weakness, clarity, wetting, if we list these out well it may be of great value to future new builders gathering their materials.

Thank you, Greg[/list]
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I use "Marinepoxy", I've used it on several boats and it's hard to try something else
when you know a certain kind works. I first bought this because of it's lower price
and 2 to 1 ratio mix. Someday I would like to "splurged" and try the "Silver Tip" brand.
Seems like there is different brands in different areas of the country. I've noticed
brands being mentioned that I've never heard or seen before.
Offroad47

Post by Offroad47 »

Thanks Sherm,

Marinepoxy is a new one for me. Products like West, East and Mas are the ones I've read about most often. Seems Mas is the most commonly carried by the Catalog companys.
Larry in Champaign

Post by Larry in Champaign »

US Composites http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Two boats with great results, durability, and best price around. I'll use it on my next canoe too.

Larry
Gary

Post by Gary »

Larry in Champaign wrote:US Composites http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

Two boats with great results, durability, and best price around. I'll use it on my next canoe too.

Larry
This is good to know. I bought my glass from them for both my boats, I was scared to try their epoxy for my first kayak. I used Silvertip, love everything about it but the price. I bought MAS for $30 a gallon at Boater's World going out of business sale, so far I can't tell any difference. I think I will try USComposites next time. I doubt I will ever find MAS at that low a price again.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I have also had great results with US Composites, although I have little experience to compare it to. I have used it on both my kayak and my canoe.

Snowman
Snowman back East
MrKim

Post by MrKim »

Offroad47

Post by Offroad47 »

Kim,

Killer link! Excellent information

Thank you
willo

Post by willo »

T he epoxy test on one-ocean kayaks is just one mans opinion. The test is tricky to judge as some hardners used are ones that should not be used in clear coating. He also talks about bad blush with East System , I think he calls it the worse for blush.News to me , I am now on my third build using East and I have NEVER had any blush.Like epoxy not all info is equal.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Here's where I got mine, (Florida)
So far I've been pleased with the Marinepoxy.
Anyone use "Spar Urethane" instead of "Spar Varnish"?
Varnish seems to be more common with boat builders, I was just wandering why?

http://boatbuildercentral.com/index.php
McFLY

Post by McFLY »

I've used West 105/207 on my Freedom 15. I haven't launched yet, so I can't talk much about durability, but I had zero blush and it has cured very clear even with the pretty low temps I've been working in.
jimmar57

Post by jimmar57 »

Snowman wrote:I have also had great results with US Composites, although I have little experience to compare it to. I have used it on both my kayak and my canoe.

Snowman
ditto, ditto, ditto and ditto - I used US Composites on the only two boats I 've built, a Ranger canoe and Resolute kayak. I been on one week canoe camping trips with each, in addition to several local day trips. No issues so far. Can't beat the price.
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

I also used West System 105/207 and am happy with the results-but it has only been about 4 months since I launched. Time will tell, but so far it looks great. From the research I did(and the website tests noted above), it seems that the varnish coating is almost as important as the type/brand of epoxy. I used Captain's Spar 2015.
Vann Evans
Don

Post by Don »

Hi
I've used West Systems, system 3 and Raka. My preference is System 3 for clarity and speed of working -- their fast hardener matches my working speed quite nicely. Next would be Raka which is, for me, the best price, very good clarity and, now that I've gotten used to using it, easy to use. I use the slow hardener for the wet out which gives excellent clarity and fast for the subsequent coats which matches my temperament. West systems is a good product but I don't like the 5 - 1 mix ratio -- no room for any error and had to scrape down a good portion of one boat when a mix was out a bit. It was also significantly more expensive than anything else I could get.
Anyway, all I use now is Raka because I can buy it direct and System 3 became more expensive when I had to go through a dealer. Great support from Raka as well -- the owner is knowledgeable and doesn't mind spending time on the phone. Also a good source for cloth etc.
good luck
don
Finding worms is a sign God wants you to go fishing.