Brass stem band vs. extra layers of fiberglass?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ben

Brass stem band vs. extra layers of fiberglass?

Post by Ben »

I am preparing to attach my outside (cherry) stems, and I am still debating adding the brass stem band. Do any of you have opinions on adding a stem band ala Canoecraft vs. adding several layers of fiberglass strips over the stem? The canoe is a Freedom 17-9 and will be primarily used in lakes.

Thanks!
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

My thought is that the brass band, albeit a bit heavy, looks really awesome. I'm pretty easy on my canoe (used mostly on lakes), but there has been more one time when I've been happy to have it, like when the wind and waves are really up, and I come in to a rocky shore a little hard and bang the front into a big boulder.

To save weight on my next build, I'm toying with the idea of just using the brass band from below the water line to just a few inches above the water line. Although, because I really like the look of the band, I'll probably just go full length with it.

Here's mine:

http://www.avoisin.com/album/canoe/slid ... 20326.html

Cheers,
Adam
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
Rick

Post by Rick »

You could go with the brass stem band for now and if it turns out that brass isn't durable enough, change over to fiberglass later on.

I went with fiberglass, the lakes around here are full of sharp-edged rocks and there are no worries having the skid plates on them.
sedges

Post by sedges »

I've always used the extra layers of glass. Putting on a stem band means screws through the glass into the wood below or near the waterline. I have always felt that this creates an avenue for water to get to place that I'd rather not have it. I use my canoes hard and the stems always look rough. I don't believe a brass band less than a half inch wide would protect much in my case.
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

I chose to use the fiberglass layers primarily due to cosmetic considerations. I felt like the beautiful wooden boat didn't need a brass stem band to protect the stems. The only hardware on our boat are the bronze carriage bolts to hang the seats and thwarts. I liked the look of all wood. I think that long term use may slightly mar the stems, but I am willing to see a scratched wooden stem instead of a brass one.

Obviously, there are others who like the look of the brass stem--that's what makes each boat unique.

Vann Evans
purple otter

Post by purple otter »

On myBob's special I used stainless steel that wraps from stem to stem over the keel.The stainless doesn't tarnish like the brass and is much harder.I bedded is in silicone so I'm not worried about the wood.It's not traditional but I think it looks good.I can drag it up on a dock and not worry about scratches.

Steve
Ben

Post by Ben »

I am getting ready to fiberglass on Friday and I need some advice. Thanks to some overagressive stem shaping :shocked I will be fiberglassing both stems. What is the proper sequence and procedure? Should I wrap the stem ala Gilpatrick? Should I glass as normal, cut 2 strips for each stem, and apply during the first fill coat? How should I proceed? Thanks!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'd follow the 2nd approach you outlined. Be sure to cut your strips on glass on the bias. It will wrap around the stems nicely.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Ben

Post by Ben »

Here it is with the 3 layers of fiberglass. I am very happy with it!

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice!
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

I would decide based on which you think looks better. Both methods work fine.
Alan
doe4rae

Post by doe4rae »

Beautiful!! :applause
Dawne Olson

"The human soul needs actual beauty more than bread" ~DH Lawrence