epoxy use in basement

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
croyally

epoxy use in basement

Post by croyally »

Hello I am new to the forum and have a Question reguarding the safety/smell with the use of epoxy in an unfinished basement. The plan is to plastic off the area including the ceiling next to a large egress window and place a box fan in the window to remove the fumes. Has anyone done this and what are the risks if any? I have read the MSDS and did not find that it was to hazardous as long as it was ventilated properly. I will be using West system 105 and 207. Thanks croyally
Big Woody

Post by Big Woody »

I plan on using epoxy in my basement also. I would be curious to hear of others experiences.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Big Woody wrote:I plan on using epoxy in my basement also. I would be curious to hear of others experiences.
DITTO!
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

in order to properly ventilate any area, one must have both a fresh air intake and an exhaust. Fresh air must move completely through the area to create "air exchange".Depending on the type of epoxy and the cubic volume of the basement, there should be 'X air exchanges per hour". I don't know what that exchange rate actually is, but I am sure that the more the better.

The fan will supply the exhaust, but I think you must have an air intake for it to ventilate properly. Otherwise, the fan blowing out will create swirly currents and try to create a vacuum in the basement. Probably just leaving the entry door slightly ajar will provide enough intake air.

I don't see any difference in working in a basement versus a shop EXCEPT for the potential smell rising into the living area above. Adequate ventilation should keep this from occurring.

When I work in my shop with epoxy, I make sure that I have the entire shop area ventilated and I also use a second blower or fan as close to me as possible to immediately move the fumes away from me. The long term effects of inhaling epoxy fumes can be toxic depending on the length of exposure, the buildup of fumes, the personal resistance, etc, etc, etc. Certainly the sanding of uncured epoxy is just as critical to be properly ventilated and have efficient dust removal system.

One can be safe with epoxy fumes and sanding dust, but we need to be very careful

Vann Evans
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

I glassed my canoe in my unfinished basement. I was also concerned about the epoxy fumes in the basement, and especially the living areas. To be safe, myself and my helper both wore respirators with carbon filters. For as little as $25, a respirator is cheap insurance against health problems that could result from exposure to epoxy fumes and other household projects.
The smell in the upstairs living area was not too bad; we just opened the windows up there for a while. I also opened the small basement windows, and hung a fan in one of them to exhaust.
So, as the others said, glassing in the basement is fine so long as you have adequate ventilation.

Good luck!
Jeff
willo

Post by willo »

I have glassed three boats in cold weather where heating the shop is difficult , ventilaton would have been impossible, I have not found fumes to be a problem. If you were using polyester or vinylester then ventilation would be critical. With marine epoxy I would be surprised if you would notice the smell any more than if you painted a room in your house, but I have never built in a basement , but a house is a much larger area than a 24 x 24 garage. The real danger in epoxy is skin exposure and uncured dust exposure.
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

I agree that polyester type resins are much bigger ventilation problems. Epoxy should not be a problem unless someone has already been exposed and become allergic, or if you have someone living in the house who has extremely bad allergies. Then I would not chance it, because while the likelihood of problems is low, you could make someone truly miserable or worse.
Alan
BradRob

Post by BradRob »

I glassed in my basement last winter with only one window cracked open. We had respirators on during the operation. We did not get any smell going upstairs as we shut the door at the top of the stairs. The vapors were not that overwhelming as i had expected.
Matthew Kerr

Post by Matthew Kerr »

I have currently done two complete kayaks in the basement and found no fume problems.My family noticed no bad smells or fumes anywere in the house. Trust me I would have heard if it was bad.
Yes I did have a large 24" fan for the window but mostly used that when I was sanding.I was doing thw epoxy coats in the winter and spring time and the fan would backdraft the wood stove so it was used minimally.
I used the West system 105 and 207.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I have only done one in the basement. My experience was similar to BradRob:
I glassed in my basement last winter with only one window cracked open. We had respirators on during the operation. We did not get any smell going upstairs as we shut the door at the top of the stairs. The vapors were not that overwhelming as i had expected.
You will need some ventilation (intake & exit) as the fumes will linger longer in an enclosed area. Still take the right precautions (PPE & ventilation). I did not have fume migration in the house as I had no HVAC return in my shop area.

Epoxy is not as obnoxious as varnish, but you still need to be careful...

Snowman
Snowman back East