Glueing paper patterns to plywood

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
John Michne

Glueing paper patterns to plywood

Post by John Michne »

I have a large (24 x 36) sheet of paper with boat rib patterns drawn on it. I want to glue it to a sheet of plywood and cut out the patterns. What is the recommended glue and technique to get it glued down flat without wrinkles?

- John
Rick

Post by Rick »

There is a product sold in art and drafting shops that's sprayed onto paper cutouts and the paper will stick to mounting board... the main advantage here is the paper will not get soaked and expand which can cause distortion and wrinkles. The bond with the spray-on product (can't remember the name) is not absolutely permanent, and cutouts can be peeled away carefully if they're not going on perfectly.

Contact cement might work if it doesn't soak and distort the paper... the bond will be permanent and instant. Some kind of spreading tool will be necessary to ensure a uniform coat on both surfaces. Once the two surfaces are in contact nothing will separate them without damaging the paper.

Probably best with any paper glue to try a test piece and see how well it performs, especially if the paper is valuable.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I use 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Use in well ventilated area only!
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

I hate using spray glues because they really don't hold that well especially over time to rougher plywood, but if you must, I use 3M and then varnish over top with a cheap lacquer. Don't be suprised that the paper comes off at the edges with dust and handling.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I have had good results with 3M Super 77 and a similar Elmer's spray product.
Snowman back East