Keel or Not on the redbird?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
arcticranger

Keel or Not on the redbird?

Post by arcticranger »

hello has anyone put a keel on the redbird i do i alot of larger lake paddleing and would like to know if anyone has put a keel ont he redbilrd? if so how did you incorporate it?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I didn't, and wouldn't. The rocker on the Redbird is very small, it has a very fine entry into the water and tracks very well.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I totally agree with Patricks Dad. It is perfect just the way it is.
arcticranger

Post by arcticranger »

thanks for the info guys. have you guys been out in the middle of the lake during a big wind?
Auvo R

Post by Auvo R »

arcticranger wrote:thanks for the info guys. have you guys been out in the middle of the lake during a big wind?
Depends how big is big. I am very satisfield with my Redbird and defenately
it does NOT need keel.

I think it is able to manage well in windy conditions with right position of load and
yourself and and right way to paddle.

Auvo R
arcticranger

5 foot waves in redbird.

Post by arcticranger »

I'm glad i took everyones advise and did not put a keel on my redbird! i had her loaded with gear and food for 2 and a portage cart. thank god everything was straped in the wind picked up and she handled the 5 -6 foot waves and huge white caps like a surf board. what a blast we had, the other guys in the 15 foot colman might have a few different choice words. they made it thought as well and we sure had to empty the water out of the boat when we got to the portage. very very very happy with they way the boat turn out and handles rough water. quick and very nice to paddle. I was a little worryed on the how stable the canoe was going to be when i first build the canoe and questioned if I was building the right one. I did thanks to the bear mountians creating great plans for other canadians to build and enjoy. good work and my hats off very pleased!
cheers steve