East System

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cape Breton

East System

Post by Cape Breton »

Hello
Looks like we will be using East System to build our Nomand, locally available and $.

Looking for help getting the right epoxy, etc... to match what is called for in Canoecraft.
What is the alternative in East System to the West System 105 and 207, also the fillers #403, #410.

Thanks for any help.
Looking forward to getting further into this build. Molds are done, stem pieces cut, seats started. Need to get gluing. :twisted evil

Cheers
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

I used East System on my Bob's Special, and was quite happy with it. It is easy to work with, and barely gives off an odour. It was also a good bit cheaper than West System.
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
willo

Post by willo »

With east system I use the 834 hardner. I use west system addititives with it #403 when using it for bonding.
Rick

Post by Rick »

East epoxy will cure hard at 10C like they describe at their website... at those low temps it may absorb water, turning it milky. This isn't amine blush which East is also said to have. Washing off the cured epoxy with warm water and a clean cloth should get rid of the blush after curing for several days.

Results have been good, if the application has been at warm temps... I had problems with water absorption turning it milky at 12C in a basement where the air was humid so now anything critical is done at temps above 20C. If in doubt about how it will react, do some tests beforehand.

Also make sure that the surface is partially cured and still sticky when applying 2nd and 3rd fill coats.... don't wait too long because you might not get good chemical bonding if the epoxy cure has gone too far.

Good luck!
Cape Breton

Post by Cape Breton »

Thanks for the replies.

I will head to the local East Sysem supply place later today.

Sounds like I need to wait for Spring weather to epoxy the whole boat. What temp range would work, 15-20C?

Thanks