Logos & Images

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Colm

Logos & Images

Post by Colm »

I am considering putting a logo or image on my canoe prior to fiberglassing. Does anyone out there have any recommendations on what is the best method for doing this?
Colm
Erich Eppert

Post by Erich Eppert »

Hi Colm
One way of putting images on the hull is by use of tissue paper and a lazer printer. Inkjet images will run when hit with epoxy. Use the type of tissue paper you get at a china shop. They wrap fine china with this type of paper and usually have it in boxes so it should be flat.. Tape the tissue paper to a 8 1/2 by 11 regular sheet of paper and this will allow you to feed it through a printer. A colour lazer printer is really cool. We have epoxied graghics and names and dates under the glass. This type of paper will disappear when wetted out. Make sure you precoat the area under the paper and then squeegy out any bubbles. Now you can apply the glass over the graghic and wet out the rest of the boat.
Regards, Erich.
Colm

Post by Colm »

Thanks Erich, that sounds really cool. I even have access to a colour laser. Do you have any pic's of any of your artwork?
Colm
KenC

Post by KenC »

I've used the tissue paper technique for black-only images, and it works pretty well, but I've heard that colors will fade more quickly in the sun. Erich - have you experienced this?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I used tracing paper and an inkjet printer. I printed labels for my "Minnie-Miss" and they were violet in the Spring of 2003 but now they are charcoal grey. My "I.D." labels printed in black are OK.http://groups.msn.com/CanoesKayaks/minn ... PhotoID=95
Al in Edmonton

Post by Al in Edmonton »

hi
we used rice paper and a injet printer to do a red maple leaf on my sons venture and so far ( 1 summer) it still looks good. we precoated the hull and glassed over the wetted imaged so the glass kept the paper from curling up

Post by Guest »

Hi everybody,
I´m a neeby in canoebuilding, currently working on my first stripper (Hiawatha).
Couple of weeks ago I had the same problem to solve. I decided to burn the name to the stripper with kind of a soldering iron!
After laser printing to paper I cutted out the contour with a pair of scissors, sticking it right to place with some needles. Then I transfered with a razor blade. you now have the ouline that you can burn.
but you have to be very very careful !!! once burnt, it´s there forever!
but i like result very much it gives the stripper a special touch ;-)

Thank you all, this is a extraordinary place, and you gave me great inspirations so far.
(sorry for my english, I come from Black-Forest, Germany)
Armin
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Nice result Armin !
I tried wood inlay on my canoe: 4 mm purple heart for the maple leaf, and 1 mm maple veneer for the name. Look at homepage background picture on http://users.pandora.be/kano-kayak
Pete in Vancouver

Logos and Images.

Post by Pete in Vancouver »

Hi Colm
I applied a name to the hull of my Endeavor, using a sheet of Label making paper from Office Depot or Staples. make sure you get the full sheet, not the ones already divided for smaller tab labels. Print your logo or name from your computer and simply cut out the design and peel off the paper backing and stick it on and away you go. I actually put mine on the sheer guard so it has only been covered with varnish but has not deteriorated after 2 yrs. good luck.

Post by Guest »

For black & white, I used plain ol' typing paper. I cut out the design and just epoxied it on. The paper just disapeared, though you can see the edge, that's why I cut out around it.

Another option is go to a sign shop and have a decal made. Of course that is added after the canoe is glassed (ie don't epoxy over it).
philz

Re: Logos & Images

Post by philz »

philz
Armin, Germany

Post by Armin, Germany »

Hi,
here´s what I found today:
http://www.heritagecanoes.com/Inlay_process1.html
seems to be a lot of work...
(Looks similar to your work Eric?)
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Hi Armin,

The method of Heritage Canoes seems to be a lot of work, I agree. The biggest difference with my method is that they use B&C strips as inlay material. Also they use different woods and make a larger picture.

However ... Kent (from the outrigger) made a marvellous inlay on his outrigger using the Heritage Canoes method, and he mentioned to me that the work was done in a few evenings. So, nothing impossible.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, all,
Yep, I used that method to make my "paddleman" inlay on the aft deck, and it really wasn't too hard to do...two evenings. The toughest part is routing out the recess on a surface that's not flat...had to do a lot of hand chisel work to get it all the same depth to receive the inlays. Paddleman came out pretty good for the first attempt, but close inspection would show that it's not fine furniture grade work.
I'm going to do the laser tissue or rice paper printout of the name (which I didn't come up with till after the glassing was done) before the varnish is applied.
A hui ho,
Kent
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

For mine, I went to a scrap book store looking for rice paper, and I couldn't find any, so I ended up buying a very clearish plastic type of paper. I used my inkjet printer to print on the paper and then laminated it under the fiberglass. It's been almost two years and it still looks black. I wish I could remember what they called the paper, but I remember it being slight stiff and slightly more clear than tracing paper. You can see the results at my website.

Bryan