Stem band bedding

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
lamarkeiko

Stem band bedding

Post by lamarkeiko »

After the last posting with replies to stem band bedding, I did some checking on the Dolfinite bedding that Glen mentioned, and the cost for a pint with shipping would cost me $44 to get it to Oregon, which is a little to expensive for me. Rick mentioned a Polyurathane adhesive, and I got to thinking about something I had completely forgot about and I already had in my shop. I used a polyurathane glue to glue up my stems and canoe paddle, and the characteristics seem to be exactly what is needed. This was "Gorilla Glue". I tried it out on my scrap stem band by wetting down both surfaces and placing a small bead under the metal band, then screwing it down. After a few hours there was a small amount of expanded glue at the seam that cleaned off very eaisly. I removed the hold down screw, and the joint appeared to be very strong. This glue is suppose to be 100% waterproof. Has anyone had experience using this glue here or with any metal to wood joining? Would appreciate any results you may have had before I try it out next week attaching my stem bands. Thanks
Lamar