Rub-on-varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
John Brice

Rub-on-varnish

Post by John Brice »

I read somewhere on this forum a discussion on rub-on-varnish. I have never heard anymore about.
Has anyone used it, is it a viable thing ? It almost sounds too good. Maybe you can't get enough film thickness to be of value though.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

John
Ben

Post by Ben »

That is the only thing that I buy for woodworking projects...but I am just finishing my 1st boat and I don't know anything about the UV qualities, so I am not planning on using it on my hull. I am interested to hear the other responses.
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

A rub on varnish is an oil-varnish mixture. It is not a varnish, then by definition. I think you would want to stick with a varnish for best UV properties, waterproofing and protection. Oil-varnish mixtures are commonly used in furniture finishing however and are very easy to apply...especially wipe on oil-varnish mixtures.
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Though, you could use an oil-varnish on a paddle. You would have to reapply often on a paddle to keep the water resistentcy qualities in place. I was thinking about a boat hull as I wrote my last post.
John Brice

Post by John Brice »

Thanks, I appreciate the input, I"ll stick with conventional marine varnish.

John