Venture 14 Bow Stem Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
willo

Post by willo »

Hi Glen where have you been hiding. Erich the reason I keep saying to ignore station 1 is because it is a bit of an oddball. On the venture you could likely build without it since the stem is shorter then the other designs. In kayakcraft there is a picture on page 69 (2001 printing) it shows station1 onthe stem for the endeavour. It sticks up above the profile ofthe stem mold. It will be cut flush with the mold to allow for the stem material. The venture is the same.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I haven't been hiding, just allowing others to chime in and share their knowledge. I will dig out the old Venture forms tomorrow but I believe I used station 1 since on this model it is a 2 foot stretch from the stem to station 2 which could induce some unfairness if not careful.
UniCacher

Post by UniCacher »

Yeah, I can see that station 1 is going to be tricky getting in exactly. I'll probably clamp it loosely and fair it into place. That station 2 offset, though... I think I'll just stretch the whole spline down from the foremost point and match station 1. There's not a lot in the water at that point, so whatever I do will only affect aesthetics.

Bear in mind that my last project was a complete carb rebuild for a '77 Honda Goldwing, so my mind is thinking in tolerances of 0.001"! This should be much more forgiving. I hope.

Thanks for the help. If the Venture forms are handy, I'd be curious to know what the dimensions are.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

OK, here's the news. I dug out the stem mold and the self-drawn plans. I remember running into a few problems when setting up the forms and since I had no form of communication back then, I improvised.

I shortened the bow form by 7/8" and stretched the stern form by 7/8". The distance from form 1 to form 2 is set at only 11" rather than 12". On the stem form I wrote "Mod 2" which indicates that I had decided to redesign it to suit the need at that time. Form 1 is also smaller than the original.

I guess that with lack of communications and knowledge I just winged it and the Venture turned out just fine. I remember that I had to do all this to obtain fair lines at the bow. However, I would be interested to hear from someone who built the Venture from purchased plans. Denis, are you there??????????????????
Denis

lofted venture

Post by Denis »

I don't remember any particular problem lofting the venture but it has been a few years

Im gettin older day by day

:laughing

Denis
UniCacher

Post by UniCacher »

Let me just say right off that Steve Killing gets the gentleman of the year award. He took my CAD plans and overlaid his own and showed me exactly where the discrepancies were. Turns out that there is one extra point listed in the book. It lists a 7/16 offset from station 2 at 12" waterline. It should actually be at the 12.25" waterline.

The forms are all lofted and I have done a preliminary run on stripping the hull. It turned out terribly, but that's what I expected. What's important right now is that the molds are fair and I know what mistakes to avoid. I'll probably do another practice run on the stripping with the stems in place before going it for real.

As it turns out, the experts are right. Planing face grain is a pain in the #####. Thought I'd throw in a few of those planks to see what happened. Yep, nice, big tear-outs!

Thanks to all who offered help!