Starter Strip

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
David_L

Starter Strip

Post by David_L »

I plan on starting my first strip parallel to the water line. My question is how far past the sheer line do you go or do you just make it even with the lowest point of the shear line and just trim up to that point?
willo

Post by willo »

It is nice to go past the sheer to allow for finnishing later.
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

I'd go about 1/2".
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
Denis

1st strip

Post by Denis »

I am assuming you are starting your first strip on the sheer line and are wondering whether or not to let it curve down a bit from the sheer.

I would suggest fastening at the sheer in the middle stations ( and 1 on each side ) then let it arc gently downwards in a fair curve. Fasten every second station and check it by eye for a fair curve then finish fastening and gluing on the inner stem.

That way when you have the canoe in the water the accent piece will look very graceful with a gentle upturn.

Denis

Not sure how well this pic shows it but it is a graceful gentle arc just as i described.

David_L

Post by David_L »

Thank you for your sugestions. I will start it just below the sheer line. Denis, very nice looking boat with the placement of the accent strip; that's exactlly what I was looking for.

Thanks
Dave
Denis

accent strip

Post by Denis »

strip is3/8 inch basswood then full 3/4 dark red cedar and then 3/8 inch basswood