Gluing the stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
UniCacher

Gluing the stems

Post by UniCacher »

How awful would it be to use a type II glue instead of epoxy to glue the stems? I'm a couple months away from glassing the hull and am a bit gunshy about buying a big pile of epoxy right now.
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

No problem IMHO... I used Titebond Type III for its waterproofness but any good glue should do because those joints will not see water and will be covered with fiberglass.
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
UniCacher

Post by UniCacher »

You've used Type III with no failure? Sounds good to me. I've read that type I has better bonding properties. I guess the fiberglass should hold it all together in the end, though.
podunk

Post by podunk »

I've used Gorilla glue with good results, works well with water and is cheap. Just don't squeeze it all out. I even tested some pieces and all passed the destruction test.
croyally

Post by croyally »

I agree with Gorilla glue it has a little longer working time then the titebond which will grab very fast and can be a problem when trying to get the stems all lined up.