Freedom 17 spray rail?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Markham_David

Freedom 17 spray rail?

Post by Markham_David »

A few years ago, I built a Freedom 17, choosing it, at the last moment, over a Nomad.

I've been quite happy with the canoe. It solos well, is fast, stable, and it tracks well. The only weak point in its performance is in handling the steep waves created by large displacement inboards before they achieve plane. The first time I encountered such a wave, I was alarmed to see the bow bury itself in the wave rather than lift over it. Although we did not take on any water, it was too close for comfort : another inch and water would have flowed into the canoe. The irony of course is that the Nomad, with its greater bow height, volume and rocker, would have likely handled the wave better!

This is of particular concern to me because I have a disabled daughter who loves canoeing and I now find myself anxious whenever she is with me and I hear the sound of an inboard somewhere on the lake. I should emphasize that the waves produced by wind alone pose no problem.

So now I'm searching for a solution. I've thought of increasing the width of the outwale at the bow, and adding a coaming to the deck. I noticed that the Blue Water Freedom has a spray rail molded into the hull, so I've thought of adding a spray rail as well, although I'm not sure if this will make much of a difference.

Or should I start building a Nomad... ?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Karl Huebner

Post by Karl Huebner »

I say build a prospector or a ranger...
Markham_David

Post by Markham_David »

It may come to that Karl, but first I want to exhaust all options with the Freedom. It has greater versatility and performance in other areas ; besides, I really do like it!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dave
David James

Post by David James »

Hi Dave,

I also have a Freedom 17. Nice canoe.
I'm wondering how far back your deck comes and if adding a coaming would be at least a partial solution. Where, say, a two inch high coaming might look awkward on a deck that comes back only six inches or so, for a longer deck of twenty inches or more a higher coaming might deflect more water and still look good on the canoe. If you have short decks, maybe you could remove the bow deck and build a longer one- work out sort of a cool looking, custom "cockpit" bow for you daughter. (Maybe she has some ideas / input too?)
Of course, if you're less concerned about form than function, as I suspect you are, than adding a spray rail would probably help too.
I can't see how you would be able to add buoyancy, and the Freedom does have a fine entry, so these might be things to consider.

best of luck, Dave James

Maybe you found a reason to build another canoe!
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Rick

Post by Rick »

The Freedom is fine-ended and is designed for speed, while the Prospector has fuller ends and will be slower. Trade-off, still, Prospectors aren't immune to swamping.

Maybe the best bet is to lash air bags in fore and aft, so that there's some insurance... if water does get in at least you'll have enough bouyancy to make it to shore and empty out. Otherwise, you might be stuck and in cold water, that can be dangerous.

PS... although you probably already know this, always carry an efficient bailer, after the wave passes, it may be possible to bail out quickly if the canoe isn't totally swamped. You should also try swamping intentionally in warm water and become familiar with the right way to deal with it.
Don

Post by Don »

The air bags are a decent idea which will give you good floatation. To prevent the water from getting in to start with, consider making a three piece spray deck. Use the bow piece all the time and the other pieces when you want to go out in rougher conditions or when the weather is cold or blowing. The spray deck cuts down on your wind resistance and is also a lot warmer (especially with a lantern burning underneath. Plans are available on the net or in Cliff Jacobson's book Expedition Canoeing.
best
don
Finding worms is a sign God wants you to go fishing.
Markham_David

Post by Markham_David »

Thank-you all for your ideas, they've certainly expanded my focus beyond possible swamping to more general safety concerns.

Rick, although we already always wear PDFs, and carry a good bailer I can see that adding flotation bags or sealed chambers to the canoe this spring would be wise.

Dave, I hadn't thought of enlarging the deck. The existing deck is small, and in fact is a temporary deck I put on the canoe the evening before we left on vacation since I didn't have time to fabricate the final version. Perhaps it's just as well - changing to a more suitable design will be easier now. I'll see what I can come up with - the Sunnyside Cruiser from the original Canoecraft comes to mind.

Don, a spray deck would certainly be the ultimate solution. Covering the whole canoe seems like overkill in my situation, but as you say, a bow piece alone could work out fine. I'll have to give it more thought.

Thanks again,

Dave
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Markham_David wrote:Don, a spray deck would certainly be the ultimate solution. Covering the whole canoe seems like overkill in my situation, but as you say, a bow piece alone could work out fine. I'll have to give it more thought.
I like the spray deck idea personally. Of course the spray deck should have a bit of a peak to it so that it sheds the water rather than just funnels it into the canoe. It need not be overly high though to be effective.

Perhaps the best approach is a combination of approaches?

Cheers,
Bryan
Markham_David

Post by Markham_David »

I agree, Bryan. I'm going to start with a redesigned deck with coaming and go from there.

Thanks,

Dave