station mold material that wont warp?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BradRob

station mold material that wont warp?

Post by BradRob »

Here is a question that has probably been answered before at some time.
I am looking for station mold material that wont warp. On my first build i used 1/2 inch plywood . After cutting out the molds they sat flat for a while but i noticed when installing them on the strong back that they warped. Most of them i was able to straighten by adding 1 by material to the backs to stiffen and straighten them. Others just would not un warp so i used 1/2 inch OSB ply and had no problems. I was looking at the old molds for my prospector the other day and every single mold was warped after sitting around for a year. I was wondering about MDF, will this material warp? I also have thought about laminating 2 pieces of 1/2 inch osb or plywood together to resolve the issue but i realy want 1/2 inch stock for the molds. Will all material warp over time? I need to make a desicion soon. I dont want to cut out the molds to soon if they are just going to warp before i have a chance to get them installed and trued on to the strongback. Any thoughts or sugesstions? MDF is about 18 bucks a sheet and OSB is only 7 bucks. I dont mind paying the extra cash but not if they will warp. I will just use the osb. set them up quickly as possible and then think about them as being disposable when the pojects are done.
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

I know that there are many different opinions on this, but I can say that I have used both 1/2" MDF and 1/2" OSB without issue. I intentionally avoided using a common grade of plywood because it tends to warp.

Both MDF and OSB have worked very well for my purpose, especially because I have not used staples during construction. Staples would certainly hold better in plywood than in MDF or OSB, and if I were using staples I might consider paying the extra cost for a quality hardwood plywood. Sealing or painting the MDF or OSB to protect again humidity should not be necessary. I have not seen any moisture related damage to these materials unless they actually get wet.

Jeff
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

I've used 1/2" MDF and really liked it. I cut the forms and let them sit for about 10 months (in a dry place), and they didn't warp at all. In theory, MDF shouldn't warp at all (as long as it is kept dry) because it is perfectly homogenous throughout. I also like MDF because it takes a pencil line nicely and is relatively easy to work. I built stapleless, so I can't comment on it's ability to take staples.
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor