deck question again

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
podunk

deck question again

Post by podunk »

Can you butt joint pieces together without a spline as in the book? I am making my decks out of cherry with a walnut wedge in the middle, approx 1 inch wide at the end, tapering to a point. This will be edged with 2 pieces of aspen 1/16 wide sandwiched between 2 pieces of cherry. Can I just glue these up with epoxy? I am going to put a piece of 6 oz. cloth on the bottom. Decks will be about 14 inches long and I may put in a handle cutout or routered area for a grip. Will this be strong enough or will I need to dowel or insert a biscuit? Or maybe something else?
Markham_David

Post by Markham_David »

From my experience, gluing the decks up without splines will be plenty strong enough, especially if you are adding a layer of glass underneath. I would use a good carpenter's glue instead of epoxy. It's easier to work with, and still provides a joint which is stronger than the surrounding wood.

Cheers,

Dave
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

Mine were black walnut and mahogany glued with a butt joint. No problems.

http://www.avoisin.com/album/canoe/slid ... 20328.html
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
podunk

Post by podunk »

Thanks, I will push on and hope for warm weather to glass.