Spalted Sycamore on Freedom 16.2 solo.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Karl Huebner

Spalted Sycamore on Freedom 16.2 solo.

Post by Karl Huebner »

Has anyone worked with spalted wood before making a canoe? Any pictures?

I have been trying to work with spalted sycamore http://lumberjocks.com/ which seems light and certainly easy to sand. I did a small project with the wood, a monster paddle and it absorbs a ton of epoxy.

I hope to have a unique canoe when I finish.

Karl Huebner
[/img]
willo

Post by willo »

I have seen a canoe that had decks made with spalted maple, they looked great I thought. I have never used any myself though.
firefightered

Post by firefightered »

I have worked a lot of spalted wood. The biggest thing you need to be aware of is the fungus that causes the spalting. It can be VERY BAD for your lungs. When you make fine saw/sanding dust PLEASE wear a dust mask. It can cause a bad lung infection and sometimes permanant damage. I do a lot over wood turning (bowls and pens) and couldn't understand why I would get a bad caugh only after I sanded spalted wood and some exotics. My resporitory Dr enlightened me to this. As for Sycamore. It is a soft wood which will absorb anythink you put on it. You should have resp. protection no matter what you sand, it will keep you healthier.