Bedding outwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
John Brice

Bedding outwales

Post by John Brice »

I used sassafras for inwales and outwales which may turn out to be a little too soft so I want them to be removeable (replaceable). I wonder if a non silicone caulk would work ok for a bedding material?

The silicone bronze screws I used came from a 1956 Chris Craft cabin cruiser during restoration about 25 - 30 years ago. I couldn't stand to see the several hundred screws thrown away so I kept them for some dumb reason. Now I know why! The "Peg - O - My - Heart" can be seen several times in the book The story of Chris Craft with my late sister "Peg".

I have added more pictures of my "Bob's Special" as it nears completion. www.tinyurl.com/jb-scanoe. By the way it tips the scales at 42 pounds with only varnish to be added.

This forum has been a really valuable souce of information, thanks everyone.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I used sassafras for inwales and outwales which may turn out to be a little too soft so I want them to be removeable (replaceable). I wonder if a non silicone caulk would work ok for a bedding material?
I used an even softer wood, white pine, for my inwales... they were glued in with thickened epoxy and have held up fine for several years. The ash outwales are fastened on with screws only and take most of the abuse.

I'd want the inwales glued, so that the bonding power of glue runs the full length of the sheerline to provide the necessary stiffness that the inwale provides in this area. I don't think that screws could match the holding power of glue since pine is soft and screws could work loose with flexing.

A non-silicone caulk should be fine as long as it doesn't bond strongly with the hull. The outwales should detach easily after the screws are removed.

I didn't use any caulk between outwale and hull, but the surfaces were all waterproofed with epoxy and varnish, including the screw holes, by swabbing epoxy into the screw hole with a pipe cleaner after removing the stainless steel screws... they're strong enough to break the bond that the epoxy creates if the outwale needs to be replaced.
John Brice

bedding outwales

Post by John Brice »

Thanks Rick. I did epoxy the inwales in place. I'll take your advice and seal the outer with epoxy and just screw them on.

John
Moriok Futai

Re: Bedding outwales

Post by Moriok Futai »

Hi, new from New York and also confuse about the bedding material. John what was your experience? Please share and it may help me!
I have just shop online madison park bedding from http://www.zuhni.com/madison-park in United States.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Moriok ... this post is 6 years old and there is a good chance you may not get a direct reply from the author.

If you have a specific question and give us the details, it's pretty assured you will get several responses/opinions from the group.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Here's the truth as I see it. You can oil gunnels and screw them on. They won't last long. I just replaced a set on a 12yr old canoe, belonging to a friend. They had some pretty rough treatment by my standards.
I glue and screw my inwhales and glue on my outwhales. No screws showing. I use Ash. I want those gunnels to be a part of the canoe and last as long as the canoe. So far they have.

If you wish to epoxy the gunnels, and let the epoxy cure before screwing them to the hull, I would hope you can extend their life. Space between the hull and the gunnels. and screw holes are the first places you will have rot !

You can also just glue with epoxy and filler and be fine.

One builders opinion !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!