Maiden voyage of the Bob's Special

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
John Brice

Maiden voyage of the Bob's Special

Post by John Brice »

Quite a nice feeling, after all the hours spent, to "paddle your own canoe". Thanks so much for all the great help and ideas I picked up on this forum.

John - more pics on www.tinyurl.com/jbs-canoe
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

John, there is an error in the link, doesn't work.
John Brice

Bob Special

Post by John Brice »

The url should have been www.tinyurl.com/jb-scanoe

Sorry - John
doe4rae

shoot...

Post by doe4rae »

... John! I left a long note in response to your link that you posted over on my post. I would have put it here but didn't see this until after I already wrote back to you over there!
Fantastic pictures! Congratulations to you too!!
:applause
Dawne Olson

"The human soul needs actual beauty more than bread" ~DH Lawrence
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

That looks great! Congratulations.
Cheers,
Bryan
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

John,

She turned out very nice! I am jealous - 42 lbs!

I have been thinking of doing a Bob's as my solo canoe. I guess I better finish my current project now that it is warm enough to work in the garage in the evenings again.

Snowman
Snowman back East
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Very pretty canoe. Great job. :applause
AsaBlanchard

Great Documentary

Post by AsaBlanchard »

John,
I spent the last hour viewing the documentary of your build, enjoyed every minute. Can't wait to try a home brew with you! I just got through making lap joints tonight that were good in the garage, but dissatisfactory after viewing your scarf joints. Loved your scarf joints. I purchased 34 spring clamps that will be put in storage after viewing your screwed L-shaped clamps. Experience through photos and generous people willing to share. I love this country and this forum.

The wood welder is a bit much for me to comprehend tonight. I'll be back.

Beautiful Canoe,

Asa
John Brice

Bob's Special

Post by John Brice »

Thanks Asa. This was my first build and quite an experience. I can't say enough about the help this forum provided - we are lucky to have it. I only put one strip on at a time because of the use of the wood welder and had to repeatedly open the clamps to place another strip, thus the idea of the screwed on clamps. The scarf joints are not even visible in the completed canoe unles you really start looking for them and know they are there. I finally added up my hours - from strongback to final varnish and stem bands 267 hours.

I am currently waiting for the cover to be made by the "Bag Lady". See www.waterworkscanoe.com