Stretched Freedom 15' or shrunk Freedom 17'?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Adamv

Stretched Freedom 15' or shrunk Freedom 17'?

Post by Adamv »

I'm looking at the Freedom for my next build. It will be used for both tandem and solo tripping. For some reason 17' seems too long, and 16' seems too short. Would it make more sense to stretch the plan for the 15' to 16', or reduce the 17' plan to 16'? With the exception of length, both the 15' and the 17' seem to have almost identical characteristics (beam, bow height, etc.).

Also, what is the difference between "Max beam" and "Beam gunnel"?

Cheers,
Adam
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Adam, I can't find it for now but Steve Killing's response to this question in the past was that it is best to stretch the 15' to 16' rather than shrink the 17' to 16'. The 15 being a wider craft, it will retain more stability at 16' than a shortened 17'.

Max Beam is the maximum width of the canoe hull. Beam Gunnel is the width at the gunnels. If a design has straight (vertical) sides, these numbers will be the same. If it has tumblehome, the Beam Gunnel will be smaller than the Max Beam. There is also the Waterline Beam to be considered. Look at a few of the Bear Mountain designs and these figures should become self-explanatory.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

You can find Steve Killing's comments under this post (page 2 of Sailing Canoe post):

http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... 5[url][url][/url]

I was adventerous and decide to "go my own way" as I also wanted a 16 footer of the same ilk. With the help of Glen Smith and Ross Leidy (http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/index.html), I came up with my own design. Unfortunately due to work related circumstances and the current lack of a heated work area, I have not yet put her in the water. I have a few smallish things to finish off before I can launch her, so I can't yet tell you how she paddles. There is another hull of the same design which is just starting construction by a collegue. If this design paddles poorly, then there are two of them out there...

Snowman
Snowman back East
Rick

Post by Rick »

I'd simply build the Freedom 17 and forget any modifications to the end stations... it solos very well if you are paddling Canadian-style, kneeling and heeled over. The lower load limit is 150 pounds... from Brian Hansel's website,
http://www.nessmuking.com/articles/brya ... -and-back/

Going tandem, the upper load limit is 510, about right for me, combined weight of canoe, two paddlers and packs.

Both Freedoms are too wide for sit and switch solo paddlers amidships with the canoe level, unless a double blade is used.

The Freedom 17 was designed for fast tandem paddling when loaded down, with the rocker adding some turning capacity when needed. The stretched 16" may not be as fast or track as well as the original 17, OTOH, your needs may be different from mine especially if the loads will be different.... good luck!