Redwood Prospector finished

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BowneCR

Redwood Prospector finished

Post by BowneCR »

Howdy all, been a while since I have posted. I just completed my 2nd boat, a 16 ft. prospector. For this boat I used reclaimed redwood for the primary hull material. The wood came from an old water tower built in the 1870s. I had the good luck to run across about a hundred board feet. Age and mineralization have really darkened the stuff and it made for an interesting boat. The original planks I cut strips from were 3"x7"x14' - all quartersawn old growth timbers. Other specs: gunnels, seats and thwart are cherry from a local tree here in IL - fairly dark stuff. Accent strip is a composite cypress, basswood, walnut piece. Decks are curly cherry from the same tree as the gunnels, with a bit of birdseye maple mixed in. I caned the seats myself - 1st time for me on this. Overall a fun build, the only part I am not as happy with is the how much the weave of the fiberglass is visible on such a dark hull. You cant really see it from a pics, but when you look closely at the hull (and have the discerning eye of a woodstrip builder) the weave is visible. My first boat was a cedarstrip, and the weave is there, but due to lighter color is less evident. At any rate, I'm happy with how it turned out. Here are some pics:

BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

She looks beautiful, I love the colour of the cedar. Nice job on all aspects of the build.
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Very nice, a job well done!
Karl Huebner

Post by Karl Huebner »

Impressive. I like the detail on the stem joints. You do very good work.
Karl
16' Prospector style canoe
17' BMB Freedom 17
17' BMB Endeavour
14' plastic kayak
14' McCarthy style Wee Lassie II
1 Thomas Hill lapstrake Daisy May canoe
Coming Soon Freedom 16.2 solo
To be repaired
1923 St. Charles River
1967 Langford
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Very, Very nice!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

I love the idea of building a canoe out of reclaimed lumber. I recently finsihed a square stern version of the 20' White Guide and did not buy any lumber for the canoe, or at least used lumber that was purchased over 10 years ago. I ended up with about 10 different kinds of wood in the canoe, and even used a piece of redwood for the deck that I recovered off the side of my house when I expanded a window to a patio door (also made some planer boards out of them.) Excellent job on the canoe, looks awesome. I love the dark color, very nice! In the door project, I learned that underneath the vinyl siding on my house is solid tongue and groove redwood siding in 10" widths. I figure there is about 1,000 board ft of clear redwood under the siding. When I retire, I am going to pull all of the siding and reclaim the redwood. That will keep me busy building boats for a long time!
willo

Post by willo »

Nice! That dark wood looks great.
pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

Beautiful canoe. Very nice lines.

Tom, you made me look at my house in a new way. :thinking Need help?

Matthew
mbolton

Post by mbolton »

Very nice! How'd you like working with the Redwood?
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

That's one of the prettiest canoes I have seen yet. :applause
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Nice job, I wouldn't fret over the weave too much, adds character, what a nice fine to
come across that old redwood, looks like you did alot of work sanding and smoothing the inside also....
BowneCR

Post by BowneCR »

Working with the redwood was actually really easy. It cuts, sands, and glues up well, both with power tools and hand tools. I used Titebond II, and the glue lines don't seem very prominent from a color perspective. I did sand pretty meticulously though. I would say that when trying to colormatch with thickened epoxy I used cedar dust rather than redwood dust mixed in with silica. The redwood dust just comes out too dark. The only thing about the redwood that is worth mentioning is the smell - there isn't any. I actually like the smell of cedar when working with hand tools, you don't get that with redwood.
doe4rae

Beautiful boat

Post by doe4rae »

Congrats on a beautiful boat! I have been thinking about using Redwood for my next one. I love the dark color. Your decks are beautiful.. the grain of the wood is outstanding. Just gorgeous!
Dawne Olson

"The human soul needs actual beauty more than bread" ~DH Lawrence
binysykyl

Re: Redwood Prospector finished

Post by binysykyl »

Redwood Prospecting is not finished yet because it is still in the use for some products. The main reasoning of low demand is its price livecareer resume review as people cannot afford this redwood products.