Quick question.....

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Sherm

Quick question.....

Post by Sherm »

Chemical bond verses Mechanical bond when fiberglassing.
Ive always done the second coat before a full cure of the epoxy. Wonder if any one
has waited for a complete cure, sanded, and did the second and third coat.
Will either bond hold up as long as the other....Has anyone done both and noticed any
difference's?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have done both and found no difference. If I let a coat harden beyond the green stage, I do a light hand-sanding with 120 grit before applying the next coat.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Thanks....
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Sherm
Mechanical bonds I believe hold up as well as chemical bonds, but I believe the appearance of the two differ.

I apply bias stips of cloth to my stems for strength and abrasion resistance. I have put them on after I was done glassing, and the epoxy had cured.

Now I put the bias strips on when I wet out the first layer of cloth. It definitely is easier, with less time and labor, and looks better when done.
My opinion and experience !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

thanks, My strips raised up when I pulled the staples, I weighted down the bottom and epoxied with one coat, only in the football area. I used wax paper between the epoxy and the weights. When it cured the bottom stayed down against the forms.

The humidity here in middle Georgia may not be the greatest for Canoe Building.
(at least that's what I'm blaming it on for now....)
Silvério

Post by Silvério »

"They" say chemical is better. The more time curing the less bonding.
How long can you wait?

As Glen, I too have done both and found no difference.
In fact I like to sand the surface with a heavy grit and clean with thiners, that way i know it will bond
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I'm done with the epoxy, the football section I did the "mechanical" bond, hadn't seen any difference either, except taking alittle more time.