WW boat attempt

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mbolton

WW boat attempt

Post by mbolton »

Yeah, I know a carved foam plug would've probably been easier and faster, but what can I say, I like working with wood :smile

It's roughly 8'-6", 29" wide, and with slightly more rocker in the bow (I think I'll try it both ways to see which I prefer before permanently attaching saddle) as of now.

Don't know if this link will work but will give it a go.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?ai ... 1115085876

I accidentally knocked over the forms a bit ago and split the hull...big oops. Hoping to have it back together to start sanding again this weekend though.

Hmmm, maybe copy and paste above or maybe this
http://picasaweb.google.com/taureaupaddler/WWStripper#
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Looks good, looks like one of those kayak/canoe's for playing in whitewater....
Is that what the "WW" stand's for?
mbolton

WW

Post by mbolton »

Yep, sorry bout that...WW does indeed stand for Whitewater.
:smile
SpiveyMtnMan

Post by SpiveyMtnMan »

Very interesting! There was a guy named Frankie Hubbard that designed some of the best whitewater canoes ever. We paddled together and built boats together for 20+ years. Unfortunately he died of lung cancer in '03. I worked with him to bring the Prelude and Spanish Fly to life, two designs that are still about the most popular today. Do you paddle a Taureau? I saw the name in your photo file title.

Your canoe certainly looks like a VERY sporty design. I'd love for you to keep your progress posted here. Some pics on the water would be swell.
Last edited by SpiveyMtnMan on Sat May 22, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrownDog Boats- Bring the Dog!
mbolton

Frankie was the man!

Post by mbolton »

I am firmly in your camp that Frankie designed the best WW boats! How cool to have paddled with such a great paddler/designer!
Yes, I currently paddle a Taureau, which I have grown to like, but it does have shortcomings :smile I looked for a used SpanishFly for a couple of years (can't afford a new one just yet), as that is what I wanted, but couldn't find one. Now that Esquif is making them again, they should start showing up again. The Fly is an awesome boat. I know some don't like the non-traditional look of it, but one paddle in one makes them a believer!
Hey, and actually it was you who prompted me to try building a WW Stripper. When I saw one of your boats you posted on C-Boats quite a while back it made me think why not?
We'll see how it actually pans out on the water though. I basically looked at my Taureau and a friends SpanishFly and didn't deviate too far on the bottom hull shape and then just drew up the upper bouts to look like a more traditional openboat. I was actually shocked and pleasantly surprised to see that it's actual shape looks pretty good...coming from a two dimensional, half boat, cross-sectional view like typical stripper plans I drew out. I basically just put to paper the what I'd like the center station shape to look like, and then drew in each following section guesstimating rocker profile (figured I'd tweak the forms once I actually set them up to see what they really looked like. Once I set up the forms, I bent a strip around the bow and stern to draw the end profiles. It all actually looked pretty pleasing to my eye, so I planked it up. But the test will be in the paddling :smile
http://picasaweb.google.com/taureaupadd ... 6038514370
SpiveyMtnMan

Frankie boats

Post by SpiveyMtnMan »

The Super Fly(which we did at Savage) and the Spanish Fly were both foam plugs. The Prelude however was a wood stripper that we faired out and molded. The Spanish Fly and Prelude were done at my shop here in Erwin, TN. There was another Frankie design we did at Savage that was a rec. boat called the Firefly and it also started as a stripper. Somewhere I have a photo of Frankie in '83 racing the wood strip plug of the Double Edge, a 15' version of the Edge. So whitewater strip canoes have some heritage.

Look forward to the water test of yours.
mbolton

Outside glassed

Post by mbolton »

Well I got the outside glassed and have a paint scheme on it. Not sure about it yet? Now to get the inside done :smile
A couple pics posted under the picasa link above
SpiveyMtnMan

Now that's sporty

Post by SpiveyMtnMan »

:twisted evil
Where are you going to test drive it?
mbolton

test drive

Post by mbolton »

Well, probably the first run will be at the East Race WW course. Hopefully out to PA later this summer.
It weighed in at 30 lbs glassed. By the time I get the gunnels, bulkhead, sidewall foamed out, it's going to weigh a bit I think :frightened
I pretty much got the gunnels on tonight...finish them up tomorrow and throw the bulkhead in it for a test drive on the lake to see how it feels. Woo Hoo!