Design and Stability

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Lin

Design and Stability

Post by Lin »

In the process of choosing a design I find that I am attracted to the high recurve stem.

Also being a beginning builder and an inexperienced paddler I am attracted to stability.

The Champlain 16' High ender has a stability factor of 92
The Prospector Ranger 15' has a 104 stability factor.

Steve Killing reports 92 as uncomfortable for beginners.

Can the Prospector be modified with more recurve without changing the stability or can the Champlain be made more stable?

Or is the Prospector the best compromise?
Is there another design that provides both?

This Forum is a great service and I look forward to your ideas.

Thanks
Lin
Steve Lansdowne

Post by Steve Lansdowne »

Altering a design as a beginner is not the thing to do. Be aware that the higher the stem the more the wind can grab the bow and move it to one side or another if it is a windy day. I suggest you see if you can paddle a boat similar to the one you're thinking of before deciding on a design. Many folks get hooked and end up buiding more than one boat, so building a more stable one at first may just be the first of several fun canoeing experiences for you.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

The Nomand is another canoe that has the looks that you are after, but if you really like the look of the Champlain, I would build it. Don't worry too much about the stability, because you will get used to it quickly. After a few days of paddling the canoe you will find that it feels very stable.
I've been paddling for a number of years now, and I don't even feel unstable in the most tippy of canoes now, and you will get that way after paddling for awhile.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I agree that you'll probably get used to the Champlain, unless you want to use it at times for something like fishing or photography, where greater initial stability might make things more comfortable. Also if inexperienced paddlers will be in the boat from time to time, there have often been instances where others have refused to get into the canoe because of the tippiness.

If in doubt, build the more stable boat - an experienced paddler will be fine in it, and the occasional novice will have an easier time.

PS... I have tried out some truly miserable canoes in the past, one was a plastic boat at a cottage, a tub that nobody, including myself, could ever get used to and be comfortable in. A well-designed hull will not be like that, but the safest route is still to try the canoe out before buying or building, or at least try one with less initial stability against a more stable design.