The Anatomy of a Canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BearLeeAlive

The Anatomy of a Canoe

Post by BearLeeAlive »

I am trying to fully understand a few canoe terms. One that has me confused is the chine. I was always of the understanding that the chine is basically where the bottom meets the sides, the sharpest point of a curve on a canoe, and an angle on many other boats.

In reading the thread on the Freedom Solo, folks seem to be referring to the point where it cuts back in towards the gunwale as the chine. Is this correct?

I will be starting a build on a solo canoe with similar features, and am curious as to the proper term.

THIS page lists a bunch of canoe terms, including the chine as I understand it. Is there another resource online, preferably one with diagrams that would help show the various components. I have most of the terminology down now, just need a bit more proper knowledge.
-JIM-
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm not an expert but the point of maximum curvature you are referring to is the bilge. Also on your list...

BILGE. When a hull is cut in a cross section, the bilge is the point of maximum curvature between the bottom and the side of the canoe below the waterline.

The references to the "chine" on the Freedom Solo is about the point where the hull makes a sharp/abrupt turn inward. It is an uncommon feature on a canoe.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mbolton

Chines

Post by mbolton »

On Whitewater boats the chines are where the bottom curve meets the side curves as you thought. On flatwater canoes this is also true. A more rounded bilge is soft chined and a more 90 degree bend would be an example of hard chines. The higher up bend should be tumblehome , shouldered tumblehome, etc. I've only seen chines as referring to how sharp or round the edge of the bilge is
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Most solo boats seem to have either a real tight curve, or a sharp turn, back to the gunwales to aid in reaching the water from the center of the boat.

The solo canoe I will be building has this feature sweeping from bow to stern. It will be a sharp corner, with no curve. Martin Step from Green Valley referred to it as a sweeping chine, but a good buddy who has built a few boats, from sailing to skiffs, says that this is not a chine, and should probably be referred to as a shoulder.

mbolton, what you mention is pretty much the take I have come to understand with my limited knowledge.

I know it really does not matter all that much, so long as everyone knows what is being talked about. The OCD aspect to my mind wants to ensure I use the proper terminology is all. :rolling eyes
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Steve refers to it as a "tumblehome chine".
mbolton

Post by mbolton »

I've often seen it referred to as multichined hulls where they have the distinct break in planes higher and lower. I think it is correct that shouldered tumblehome would be an example of a chine, and I know kayaks use the multichine terminology more frequently, but in regards to canoes for most folks when speaking of chines, it's in regards to the lower shaping.