My Acorn Dinghy launched

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Yasushi

My Acorn Dinghy launched

Post by Yasushi »

Hello all,

Just two years before, I have posted to this forum about my Acorn Dinghy project that was a lapstrake boatbuilding. Eventually I have been able to complete this project in April 2010, and launched on 2nd May at the Enoshima yacht harbor, where is located 60 km southwest from downtown Tokyo, Japan. Since I have started from scratch, it took about 1500 hours in three years, including all sailing rigs, oars, dolly, and roof carrier.
I enjoyed the maiden voyage with some friends, and confirmed that my Acorn has a nice helm and stability. Since I have updated my homepage that is showing this building process up to the launching, but all descriptions in Japanese, browse this if you have an interest.
:smile

http://www012.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kane-tok ... epage.html

Yasushi
Tokyo, Japan
bluedcanoed

Post by bluedcanoed »

Looks great! Nice pictures too.

Bob
mbolton

Post by mbolton »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Wow! Awesome job!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Beautiful and very precise work! :applause
Yasushi

Post by Yasushi »

I am very delighted at many good words from those who browsed my homepage updated with the recent Acorn building process.

Since I have been busy with this project for three years, I would like to enjoy sailing and paddling within this year. At the moment, I do not have yet any plan for next project, but I like to build again a lapstrake construction.

Thank you all again for nice comments

Yasushi
Tokyo, Japan
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

Fantastic. Nothing prettier than a lapstrake sailboat. Your craftsmanship looks spectacular! Well done my friend!
KenC

Post by KenC »

Well done.
I am a big fan of Oughtred's designs ... you've done him proud.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Yasushi,

Great work :applause Long time no see. I enjoyed meeting you in Peterborough a few years ago and often wondered if you were building. Glad to see you are. My pictures of you and Glen in his canoe are some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy this beautiful boat for many years.
Yasushi

Post by Yasushi »

Hello my friends,

Tom,
Thank you for your compliment on my lapstrake boat building. Yes, it is really attractive construction, and there are more processes than other planking, but it was fun for me.

Ken,
Thank you for your comment on my Acorn building. I am also a fan of Iain Oughtred and have sent a letter to him, who lives in Isle of Skye in Scotland, in order to inform him of completion of my project. And I have received his nice comments about that.

Mike,
Nice to see you again! How are you doing?
I also remember that we have enjoyed the Small Crafts Builder’s Rendezvous 2006 held at Peterborough. Except for this one, my previous post to this forum was July 2008, because the progress of my Acorn project was too slow, and there was not topic to post. Anyway, I am happy with the nice performance on the Acorn dinghy I built.

Yasushi
Tokyo, Japan
BradRob

Post by BradRob »

Very nice looking sailboat
I have been looking for some plans for a cedar strip sail boat. Is there a significant struture difference between the lapstrake and the strips?
Yasushi

Post by Yasushi »

Hello Brad,

Thank you for your comments.

The significant structures or processes are just to spile the planking strake with a spiling batten, and then to plane the rolling bevel in order just to fit with next one. But I think it is not so difficult as you may think. If you have an interest in , I recommend the book " How to Build Glued-Lapstrake Wooden Boats written by John Brooks & Ruth Ann Hill". This one has nice descriptions in detail.

Good Luck :smile

Yasushi
Tokyo, Japan