Drilling Seat Frames for Cane

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AsaBlanchard

Drilling Seat Frames for Cane

Post by AsaBlanchard »

I am ready to drill my seat frames for caning. I have read one blog that mentions drilling 1/4" holes with 3/4 "spacing" between holes and 3/8 from the inside edge. The word choice is confusing to me at best. If someone can help me with the hole center points from the inside edge of the seat frame and the spacing of the hole center points around the frame, I would appreciate it.
Thank you for helping me get it right.
Asa
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That would be 1/4" holes drilled at 3/4" center to center and the hole center is located 3/8" from the inside edge. I lightly rounded over the inside edges of the seat frames and used a countersink on the holes to eliminate the sharp edge.
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Glen,
Thank you for the quick response and language I understand.
I am closing in the football and working on other items while the last few strips are drying.
Friesen 5

Post by Friesen 5 »

I ordered my materials from Peerless Rattan. They have instructions on their website. Regarding the holes, there is a chart on this page of their website which gives the options for the size and distance of holes. http://www.peerlessrattan.com/index.php ... &Itemid=27

I ordered a half hank and it was sufficient for 2 seats. There is some left if I need to repair the seats in the future.

Mervin Friesen
Prospector 16'
Mervin Friesen
Prospector 16'
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Mervin,
Thank you for the caning web site info. I love this forum and all the people who share their information so freely. If my canoe turns out half as good as yours, I will shout praise to the heavens and our northern borders as well.

I did notice in the caning video, the instructor noted not to put stain on the bottom of the cane as it caused it to become brittle and shorten it's life span. Any comments on finish(spar varnish) on the bottom of the cane? Natural or Plastic?

Asa
Prospector 17' 1"
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Plastic cane needs no protection. Natural cane should be left to breathe however I applied a few coats of spar varnish on both faces of mine without any ill effects.
jturk

Post by jturk »

will you seal the caning holes in the seat frame with epoxy, varnish, or both?
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Glen,
Would you care to answer the question regarding protecting the holes with which finishes? I will do as you suggest.

Thank you,
Asa
Prospector 17' 1"
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Gents,

While I am no expert, I spent a great deal of time making my seats (too much time - as I have a weight complex and laminated my seats with a cedar core and maple outer laminates - not sure I would do that again even though I saved some weight...).

So, back to the question of hole treatment. I assume that you are coating the entire frame in epoxy if you are considering doing the holes with epoxy. I used epoxy on the final product (frame) with the exception of in the holes. I used varnish only (many coats) using a pipe cleaner. Given the time it took to do all the holes with varnish, I am not sure that you could get through all of the holes on one batch of epoxy before it kicks off on you (perhaps someone who works faster than I wold be able to...). The holes were not my favorite part.

In summary, I recommend varnish only, even if you epoxy the final frame.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I used several coats of spar varnish applied with a pipe cleaner just like Snowman.
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Glen & Snowman,

Thank you for the advice on seat frame finishing. I am looking forward to visiting the smoke shop to pick up my pipe cleaners. I love this project and can't wait to wipe those holes smooth.

Asa
Prospector