Workbench

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
IslandStripper

Workbench

Post by IslandStripper »

Hi,

Bought a new house with an empty garage and I need to build a workbench prior to starting Kayak #1 they mention one in KayakCraft. Does anyone have any plans for a similar workbench (2' or 3' by 8" or 10').

THanks

Dave
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Dave
What island?

I built a Woodsmith bench 15 years ago, and it's still all I think I'll ever need. They have plans for several benches available on their website...great project, too.

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/shopfurn.html
A hui ho,
Kent
KenC

Post by KenC »

An empty garage? What's that? :D Sounds like a blank canvas to me.

I don't recall a bench described in Kayakcraft, but there are dozens of plans for workbenches around on the net, from very simple, to fine furniture. Do a google search for "workbench plans" and you'll see what I mean. There have been countless woodworking magazine articles written on the subject also.

I'm in the process of building one similar to the one featured on the cover of the Fine Woodworking (Tools & Shops) issue #167. I plan to add a cabinet into the open space below the bench at some point in the future.

There is a "Woodsmith" bench plan available at plansnow.com, that is similar. I don't know if that's the one Karkuai is referring to.

Another option is a closed-base bench (also available at Plansnow) - less opportunity for dust to accumulate underneath. (in the open-base design, a cabinet would sit suspended on the cross-beams, above the floor)

Careful you don't get so caught up in a fancy workbench design that the kayak gets delayed, though. You gotta prioritize.