Epifanes Spar Varnish over Epoxy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
AsaBlanchard

Epifanes Spar Varnish over Epoxy

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Fellow Boat Builders,

I have three coats of epoxy over the fiberglass cloth. The Epifanes Spar Varnish instructions recommends the 1st coat to be thinned 50% with mineral spirits, 2nd coat 25% and the rest 5%. Does this apply to the epoxied hull or is this just for bare wood?

What mix do you recommend? 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Thank you,

Asa Blanchard
Prospector
In the glass
Last edited by AsaBlanchard on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Epifanes instructions refer to bare wood. When I apply it on an epoxied surface I add just enough Epifanes Brushing Thinner to make the brush glide well. Not too much drag but no too slippery either. This can depend on temperature and humidity but in my case it works out to 10% thinner for all coats. I also follow Ted's recommended application technique and don't have runs or missed spots. I use a good quality 3" wide foam brush.
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Glen,
Thank you for the quick response. I will go with the 10% thinner. What quantity of Epifanes varnish did it take you to complete your canoe inside and out plus trim?
Thank you,
Asa
Gomer

Post by Gomer »

I used 10% like Glen suggested. It worked beautifully. Perfect consistency.
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Gomer,
Do you recall how much varnish you used on your boat?
Asa
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

I found I got the best drip free varnish with it thinnned about 10%, and applied with a 4" foam roller, and then lightly brushed with a foam brush just to break bubbles and smooth it out.
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
jturk

Post by jturk »

Asa,
I have just finished varnishing my Prospector this week. 3 coat inside and outside of the hull. I did thin the first coat over the epoxy about 30% and the next 2 coats about 10%. I used 1.5 quart cans of the Varnish. Discussions with the manufacturer suggested we could get wet for a short paddle in 72 hours or longer periods in a week without the risk of the varnish milking. He did remind us that the varnish continues to cure for at least a month.
Jim
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Glen, Gomer, Adam and Jim,

Thank you for your replys regarding the varnish. I appreciate everyone's willingness to share.

To the shop,
Asa
Gomer

Post by Gomer »

Asa, I only put 2 coats on the inside to let the weave show through for a skid free surface. 4 coats on the exterior, I used one quart, had a little left over to finish my paddles with. You are gonna LOVE that epiphanes. I had varnished w/ other brands from the big box stores and there is no comparison between them. That stuff shines like diamonds. :twisted evil
AsaBlanchard

Post by AsaBlanchard »

Gentleman,
I confess, after asking for help with the quantity of spar varnish, I realized I had moved my copy of "The Right Materials" from my drawing board to a stack of papers beside it. It clearly states 2 quarts of varnish. It also states 1 quart of glue for the planks, which I am positive I used 3 quarts. Must be the amateur in me. I may have applied 1 quart and wiped 2 quarts away, but I used the better part of a gallon jug.

The gloss of the 3 layers of epoxy resin is shining at me and I love opening the door of my shop in the afternoon seeing the glow that is waiting for me. This weekend I will flip the Prospector over and begin to work on the inside.

Thanks again for all your help,

Asa