Sheer Plank for Freedom 17

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Mark Prendergast

Sheer Plank for Freedom 17

Post by Mark Prendergast »

Should the sheer plank on the freedom 17 follow the sheer line or is it more appropriate to adopt a line for the sheer plank that is more parallel with the water line? I am inclined to want to install the sheer plank with a more parallel attitude to the water line, with only the slightest upward curve toward the bow and stern, filling in the bow and stern sections after the hull is planked. I realise the Freedom 17 has a moderate curve to the sheer line but if more experienced canoe builders than I have some advice to share then I am more than willing to listen before starting the planking phase.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I think your approach is right on. A general strategy is to attach the strip at a few middle stations at the sheerline and let it droop naturally on both ends (but not below the sheer). Then fill in between that first strip and the sheerline on the ends. Some people do simply attach the strip to the sheerline entirely and for a design like the freedom it might be OK. Other designs would look goofy (but I've seen it done on others too). It really is a personal preference. Do what you think looks good (and ignore my and anyone else's advice that doesn't look good to you).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Although my build was not a true "Freedom" by Steven Killing, I have built a very similar design. I essentially did what you described, but slightly forcing the ends a bit beyond the "natural droop." I had very little to fill on the stern and only a few more fill strips on the bow. I think it looks nice. Play around a bit and do what you find pleasing...

Snowman
Snowman back East
Mark Prendergast

Post by Mark Prendergast »

Randy and Snowman, I appreciate your views, thanks. That's just the confirmation I was after to crack on confidently with the planking. I thought I had read about this topic on other's previous posts but was going blue in the face trying to find a reference to it. When it comes to the crunch, the potential to end up with anything less than total satisfaction causes one to stop and give careful consideration to some very elementary steps.

Mark