A Rudder for a Resolute

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sailconcord

A Rudder for a Resolute

Post by sailconcord »

My Resolute is now coming along (see http://sailsaltsawdust.blogspot.com/) and if I'm going to fit a rudder I guess I should be thinking ahead and getting one ordered.

Any advice on whether or not to fit one and if so, which design, will be welcome.

Thanks

Jonathan
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I have no advice on a rudder or the Resolute, sorry. What I would like to say is it looks great and your photography does too. Keep up the great work.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Jonathan, I would prepare and epoxy in place a softwood block so it fits in the stern and provides something solid so you can later install a rudder if you feel the Resolute needs one.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Glen said exactly what I was going to say. Unless you're absolutely, positively sure that you want and need a rudder, then you might be best to wait until you've paddled it a few times.

For my Endeavour, I carved a chunk of cedar to fit into the point of the stern, and epoxied it in place. If you do this before you permanently attach the deck to the hull, its an easy job. I never did mount a rudder, but the mounting block is there in case I ever change my mind.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Ditto on Glen/Ken 's recommendations. I will also add a recommendation to take a photo of your block installation (with some reference information/measure) before you install the deck. It will make finding the extremeties easier, should you decide to add a rudder down the road.

BTW - I never did install a rudder (Endeavour)

Snowman
Snowman back East
jimmar

Post by jimmar »

I built a resolute 2 years ago with no rudder. I paddled it loaded on a one week trip in Quetico and never felt the need for a rudder. I have paddled it many times unloaded and also felt that it tracked just fine. I'm glad I didn't add one but then again I've never paddled with one so I have nothing to compare.